Emperor Angelfish

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I bought an emperor Angelfish adult yesterday, his color is amazing and he looked healthy.
He is In quarantine a 400l tank with some rock and pipes, hes going in my new 2.1m tank after quarantine.

But since yesterday he has been hiding behind the rocks and starts to breathe rapidly when he sees me. Will he ever adapt and become comfortable? What can I do to make him feel more secure? The tank is ful of live rock so lots of hiding spots.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Temp 24.6
Sg 1.024 wil do hypo if he breaks out in with ich
Nitrate 15
Phos 0.02
Calcium 450
Kh 7

Last edited:
a few days. just to stop all the movement around him. and get him use to captivity. i know its hard not to want to stare at him all day but once he is happy you can look all day.

Peek every now and then to see if he strong. You don't want him getting sucked into any pumps or wave makers if he is weak (assuming there are in the qt)

Yeah give him time. but try make him feel as safe as possible. Stop movements around him and keep light to a min

Will probably take some time to settle, small juveniles are very cryptic in the wild.

Oh, I see it is an adult. Hmm, maybe just not used to captivity yet.

Ahh sorry man. I haven't successfully kept one yet. Lost 2 last year as well.

Maybe try a juvenile next time. They able to adapt easier to captivity.
What system you running?

Post some pics

I'm running a 1650x500x500 which is my old display, I thought that would give him the best chance for survival, it still has all my filtration running, reef octopus sss 2000 int skimmer, algea scrubber and gfo+carbon reactor. I opened his Gill plates earlier and took a clipping and checked it under a microscope, and there where no parasites at all, so he must have died from stress

Sorry man.

What else was in the tank? How did u acclimatize him?

Hope we can come to a theory behind your loss. They by far my favorite fish.

He was the only fish in the tank, he was drip acclimated for 1 hour, could it have been cyanide? Don't know if the collectors still use cyanide.

Previous fish I got from kenya and the exact same suppliers , like a sailfin and Regal tang all did fine, both were smaller than a R5 and are now almost 15cm.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear, maybe shipping stress. Could also be something like ammonia poisoning during the shipping, fish only die a few days after the damage was done. Try a juvenile perhaps, I've had one for 6 months now, they grow quite quickly, almost doubled now since I got him.

Sorry to hear, maybe shipping stress. Could also be something like ammonia poisoning during the shipping, fish only die a few days after the damage was done. Try a juvenile perhaps, I've had one for 6 months now, they grow quite quickly, almost doubled now since I got him.

Hows the colouring on him going? has he started to change?

Back
Top Bottom