Elegance Coral

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by greenie, 9 Apr 2011.

1. greenie

greenie

Morning, I have recently read a lot about Elegance Coral and that they are hard to keep. Does anyone have any experience on these? (Are they still locally available?)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

I've never personally had any luck with them but guys I know have kept them for years. You can still get them but the trick is knowing what light for them. Some come from shallow lagoons which require a lot of light and some come from deeper water and require less light. They dont like a lot of flow and like a lot of space so they can expand. Jagged edges on rocks can damage the tissue and kill them. Once the recession starts it doesn't finish till the coral is dead.

4. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Yes - this is the only coral that I could not keep alive in my tank, having tried twice.

Some 10-15 years ago the elegances collected from the shallow parts of the reefs were considered one of the easiest corals to keep, but they are now extremely difficult to keep alive. Most elegances available in the trade are collected from very deep down on the reefs, and must be acclimated to our bright tanks over a long period. Also, it is suspected that they are attacked by something in our tanks (bacteria?).

I suppose IF one is lucky enough to get an uncontaminated specimen that was collected from a shallow reef area, one would still find it an easy coral to keep...

Hennie

magman likes this.
  5. nate

nate

Tony is right on the money. However there are two schools of thought around these corals. Eric Borneman did a study a while back on why these corals are wasting away in our tanks. I dont think he ever came up with an answer - by the hypothesis was that they were dying from a bacterial infection.

The symptoms were affecting nearly ALL the Elegance corals from Indo. Unfortunately ALL the elegance corals in SA come from Indonesia.

So what to look out for when considering one of these. Take a really careful look at the coral. If it looks at all "swollen" and the tentacles look short and retracted - stay away - it means almost certain death. (in fact when they are healthy they can resemble anemones)

There is a guy in the US that has had success in healing these corals by doing exactly what Tony said - Caution on too much light, low flow.

Success is all about choosing the right specimen... You may be lucky, but unfortunately probably not :(

Last edited: 9 Apr 2011
  6. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Eric Borneman did a proper study some years back.

Elegance have a disease specific to them that due to catching tanks and the holding conditions they are held in, is spread around to all the others.

we get sick corals and they die in our tanks.

I have had one thats been in tanks for over 15 years, it's the toghest coral I have. I have fragged it many times. I once gave a healthy frag to Adriaan (very acomplished reefer for those that do not know him). He then got another newly imported Elegance a few months later. It died and infected the healthy piece too, which also then died.

Elegance 15 tears ago were considered beginner corals, very easy. Now very few survive, non if they are infected, and if collected at great depth, this will not help either.

I think that maybe 5% make it 2 months in our aquaria. It's a very bad buy generally, until the catchers are able to keep the corals from infecting each other.

Sorry Nate for the partial repeat.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2011
  7. gaboon

gaboon

So why are they even in the trade?

8. crispin

crispin

that elegance u have rob is one of the most beautiful specimins ive seen in tanks.

i agree they just are not worth buying any more, not unless you have additional info on where they come from, how they were collected etc. best to stay well away

9. greenie

greenie Thread Starter

Thanks, for the feedback. the answer is then leave them alone.

10. Sean H

Sean H

Hi guys
    I have found over the last 15 years of importing corals.
    When importing the elegance coral the long tentacled species does better than the short tentacled, the other requirement they definitely do better with is with very low current.

Obviously it is also important to have healthy stock to start with.

Sean Harrison

11. Seabass

Seabass

Good to know, i was also wanting one, but now no way. thanks all

12. amalick

amalick

Ive got two of them, and have been very lucky so far. Im by no means an experienced reefer either.

This one ive had for 6 months

[​IMG]

This one ive had for two years

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. NickW

NickW

Hi Guys,

Apologies to revive such an old thread, i have read lots of articles on the web and a few on masa about elegance corals, mostly saying that there is a 90% chance of the coral not surviving,

My question is (which i can not seem to find the answer to anywhere) how long after you put them in your tank are they on average going to last? there might not be a direct answer for this but any idea, based on past experience? ie 2 weeks? 2 days?

Also once the coral starts getting infected, or starts dying, how long after this have they gennerally got to live? once again i dont think there is a direct answer but any suggestions or oppinions would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

14. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

15. Mewik

Mewik

Mine has been thriving for 9 months under a 150w mh. Loads of ppl say they are hard to keep but mine is the easiest thing out, I put it down to luck. As you can see from the previous posts there's a few different theories as to why they don't last. I think the bottom line is that there's always going to be a risk when purchasing one, unless its lived over 3 months in the store or someones tank. It seems that if they last 3 months they aint just going to fall over and die unless its due to some human error.

16. NickW

NickW

yeah suppose so,

reason why i am asking is i got one at a decent price, so i though i can give it a try and see what happens.

so anyway, i added it to my tank on friday, sat and sunday it was open nciely and doing well, then monday, i got home from work and it was extremmely retracted while the lights where still on.

So could it be possible that it is already going south after just 3 days? or is it still getting used to the tank?

(at 10 this morning it was open but not fully)

17. Kharnyge

Kharnyge

I traded one I got about 2 weeks back to @Arries ....................wonder how its doing?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. Arries

Arries

Lol it wants to be in my tank...Mine is doing VERY well...its already 80% open by the time my lights come on...Check my tank thread for pics...Had NO probs with it in 2weeks time now....:lol:

19. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

In my (limited) experience, anything from about 1 to 3 weeks.

They go downhill pretty fast - you could notice something wrong one day, and it could be totally dead within a week.

Obviously, if it is not getting enough light or food, but it is healthy otherwise, it could survive many months, depending on it's original size...

Hennie

20. Mewik

Mewik

Yeah mine is similar to Arries', it rarely fully closes up at night, it doesn't even fully close when I wrestle with it. On the odd occasion though I wake up and it is fully closed and I panic a bit, but as soon as the lights come on it quickly opens up again. Somedays it gets massive, almost double the usual size, it seems to get bigger until I feed it some prawn and then it tends to calm down. Not sure if it inflates to try find food or what, seems like that's the reason.

21. Nur

Nur Starz

Yoh then I must be vrek lucky! I got mine from perky pets 13 months ago. Grew sieke 25% bigger.

Recent Posts