Urgent help needed Elegance coral not well

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by aapstert180, 28 Aug 2016.

1. aapstert180

aapstert180

Morning reefers.

On tuesday i bought an elegance coral. At the shop it was bloated and swollen, not open as it ahould be. The guy told me the coral is doung great, its bloated because the just fed it. Got home and acclimated it. The next day i noticed the one side is pulling away from the skeleton. It looks like its melting, and my cleaner shrimp is picking away at the side thats melting. Ive dippied it yesterday in coral dip. Hoping it would come right. I alsi fed a piece of freah shrimp. This morning it looks even worse. Can anyone please help or give some info on what i should do

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. NJH

NJH

If you post a picture it would assist to identify the issue.

4. red deacon

red deacon

Not to be harsh but if I were you I would give that shop a call/visit and ask the owner for a refund. Whilst I accept that you take risks when buying livestock on a "voetstoots" basis, you clearly identified a problem with the coral and were misled/given false information that led you to purchase. I believe under those circumstances any reasonable businessman should allow you to return defective goods and replace same with goods to that value.

If they don't, name and shame so that we know where to avoid. Good luck

Last edited: 28 Aug 2016
    devesh.r, martinhal and r0ckf1re like this.
  5. red deacon

red deacon

Sorry hit wrong button!

6. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

I agree with @red deacon , go back to the LFS and ask for a refund. Elegance corals are notoriously difficult corals to keep even for the seasoned aquarist. Your system should be mature preferably a year and it should be very stable and even then they can be a challenge. Good Luck hope you come right.

7. aapstert180

aapstert180 Thread Starter

Thank you all to the replies. Doesn't look like the coral will survive. Im not going

8. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Everyone has blamed the shop and to get refund, eish, the advice given is really poor. Guys what about the tank history we put the poor coral into, all our tanks are perfect???, pls give advice on your experience level.

Dipping and force feeding is normally more detrimental to these sensitive animals we keep, but no take it back to the shop its the lfs fault ....

In the initial post it seems to me that you were sold a healthy coral ....

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L09 using Tapatalk

reef addict likes this.
  9. Andre@ReefAquatics

I'm really battling with this advice, and lps ? a bump in the car, damage this delicate organism, blame the LFS ???

Vootstoots .....

10. red deacon

red deacon

What a surprising response from @Andre@ReefAquatics . About as surprising as receiving a damaged article on auction and getting no assistance in the matter. My advice stands.

11. Andre@ReefAquatics

You mean the one when only the box got damaged in transit and the actual unit undamaged. And we have sorted out mutually.

Let's stick to this thread threads topic.

12. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

@Andre@ReefAquatics I understand where you are coming from with your statement as a store owner your self. I suggested that @aapstert180 take it back as the way he described on how it looked prior to purchase as sickly. Now please remember not all LFS give the same level of service as your self and others that I have delt with. This particular LFS should have given the buyer the right advice and info as requested by the buyer. I do agree that if you are not sure that what ever you are buying doesn't look healthy then rather leave it than wasting your money. Also do your research before doing a purchase on a whim. @Andre@ReefAquatics if you read further on my post I have stated that these animals require a mature and stable system and that it is not ment for someone starting out on this hobby. All and all this advice is given on the info received and ultimately it comes down to @aapstert180 and what he decides.

Andre@ReefAquatics likes this.
  13. Jade

Jade

Do you have a pic of the coral Aapstert?

14. Lollos

Lollos

Morning Guys,

I would love to see a photo of the sick elegance @aapstert180

My elegance has been in my tank for almost a year to date and is thriving. Before attempting to feed it big foods like shrimp try and spray the smallest possible food into your system as I have noticed that the elegance is quite capable of capturing small food types.

Water perimeters and tank maturity is a big issue on elegance corals and great care should be taken on introducing these guys into a system.

Behavior wise my Elegance coral only retracts into its shell if it is dark. Even during transport a big part of the coral meat will be visible.

15. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Mine I had for a year and 6 months. Beautiful corals but very sensitive to changes. Mine died when I had to move tank because of a better job opportunity.

16. ScubaLover22

ScubaLover22

Yeah I've had mine for a now... eats all food that floats past... very cool to.eatch eat and is thriving... but it starts to look sad as soon as any chemistry changes... I use him as my checker

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

From what I know of Elegance corals, is that once they retract or pull away from the skeleton, they most likely will not survive. They hardly recover and its normally just downhill from there.

Have a nice chat with the LFS, civilized. Might get sorted out a lot better when you keep your cool, than throwing a fit or name and shame (and we do not allow name and shame on MASA)

18. aapstert180

The coral went into a cube, very healthy system, running almost 2 years. All parameters are in check.

19. aapstert180

1472544159314-200962708.jpg

20. aapstert180

Mods please close this thread. Coral is beyond saving. Thank you to all willing to help.

Recent Posts