Elegance - Can I save it??

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Kunhardt, 8 Oct 2009.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

So a local reefer is taking down his tank and gave me what is left of his Elegance coral. It was doing fine for years until recently when he had problems with his tank and it has died back drastically...as you can see from the pic.

Do you think I can bring this coral back from the grave? I think it should at least have a fighting chance in my tank with low flow and high nutrients and daily feedings. Its a long shot but its already double the size in my tank that it was in his so lets hope I have success!

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

anythings possible buddy.. try feeding regularly and giving it what it wants ...good luck

4. Tony

Tony

I've brought some SPS's back from the grave. DOn't give up and it may just reward you

5. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Good luck boet...anything is possible...

6. noproblem

noproblem

I try to practice this at home........

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! Lets hope I can bring this little guy back to its former beauty!

8. leslie hempel

dude if theres life no matter how on the edge it may be its possible.. i told you about the slipper that i had been given by the LFS that was finished everyone told me to chuck it.. it came right and lived for ages untill my top up incedint.. you got to persevere.

imagine it as a frag thats growing not a parent coral dying...

9. Prodigy

Prodigy

Mark u can do it bro
    Everything will fight for its life

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

OK some things to consider.

If the nitrate of the old tank was very high do not put in a very low nitrate environment. the shock will be it,s end. I suspect the coral gave up due to very high nitrates. These corals can handle high nitrate for extended periods but will soon become. Best is to slowly (over a few weeks) reduce the nitrate level to about 10-15ppm they do best there. Elegance/euphyllia are high nutrient corals and IMO thrive on systems with a little nitrate/nutrient. Make sure you do not have any Dwarf angels, shrimp present else they will eat the decaying and repairing tissue causing stress to the coral.

Good luck and hope this info helps.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2009
    Broder likes this.
  11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

I never thought of it that way! Good point...its like the coral is half full not half empty! :p

thanks man.

The Elegance is already in my tank, but the nitrates in the old tank were probably 0, the owner had been doing quite a few water changes a week trying to get his tank better, I think maybe this in fact had caused things to get worse though.

I agree with you on the point that they will thrive in a tank with a little nitrate and high nutrients, its for this reason I think that it will hopefully get better in my tank as I think my tank has all the elements it needs to thrive.

As for Dwarves and shrimps...yip got 'em! But the Elegance has been in my tank for 2 days now and none of them have given it a second glance...so far so good :)

12. leslie hempel

if i can say one thing here without getting shot.. everyting has its place in nature, fish pecking a decaying matter to assist in removing it to illiminate further infection etc.. the only problem we create is not having the correct ratio's WRT space and frequency that the coral comes into contact with the various species we keep.. so you may even need to build an eggcrate or simular structure to prevent frequent pecking.. im not saying allow the fish to peck im saying its a natural process to illiminate a further infection.. by taking on the role of "god" (not meant in a bad way) in our systems we now need to controll the happening's and outcomes..

13. Slummies

Slummies

good stuff mt brah.. beautiful animal! go big!

14. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thats very deep for a Friday morning Les! :razz:

But actually very true, couldnt agree more :)

Recent Posts