Electrostatic magnetism

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by maxisoft, 28 Jan 2011.

1. maxisoft

maxisoft

Hi Guys,

Last night I read up on the threads in the beginner discussions about electricity and grounding your tank. I put my hand in the water to move a turbo and got a slight jolt. What really intrigued me was that when I tried to clean my glass with the magnetic algae cleaner, I got reverse polarity!!!! Meaning that when I moved from the front of the glass to the sides and separated the two parts, when putting them together again they actually opposed each other! That means that they switched poles by the electrostatic current in the water.

Anybody ever had the same problem or any advice?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

very interesting find there max..

4. lIghty

lIghty

Mmmm..... Try turn the one half of the cleaner 180 deg. ;), it that doesn't help, shake it as perhaps one of the magnets have come loose inside.

There is no way that electricity in the water could cause this, unless you had your tank connected to Eskoms HT overhead cable.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2011
  5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

most jolts can also be micro-cuts on ur skin, and the salt water causing a slight burn
    you can also turn off the power head and see if it happens again, if it doesnt with it off and does when its on, its the powerhead, it cant be the heater they will trip the mains if there is exposure and the return doesnt cause a shock in the sump

Recent Posts