Electrical Question

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Neil H, 1 Oct 2009.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Ok so i am curently running my tank of 3 different multiplugs and i am not happy with it

I have the following equipment that I run

timer 1 - Lights
    Timer 2 - sump lights

these I am happy to leave as is.

but then there is a whole heap of other appliences i would love to neaten up....

all except the skimmer are 2 pin plugs.

One major constraint is that i am renting at the moment so a permenant electrical system built into the wall is not an option. Secondly i want to be able to switch on seperate equipment seperately. and third i want to be able to completely remove the equipment for cleaaning if i choose.

I have the following in addition to the lights and skimmer

1 x heater
    4 x seio
    3 x pumps
    1 x auto top up
    1 x Fan

and of course i would want to build it that i could add other equipment if i require.

My idea was to wire the setup into a series of switchs .... with one power in cable.... how do i work out if that is possible???

then the cables coming out i wanted to put a female 2 pin plug on and plug the male into this ...... woould this work..?

I am pretty good with my DIY but pretty doff with electrical things !

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

You will have to work out what the amps are that you will be pulling off of a single supply plug. You should be fine with the heater, seios, pumps,ATO and pump. I think the standard circuit breaker will be in the line of 15 Amps IIRC.

You could also use the male-female connectors without a problem.

4. FransSny

FransSny

Neil, actually very easy. I am doing something similar at the moment. I have just left out the 2 point plugs. In my opinion they just give you crap in the long run.

Here's how mine is done.

1 power cable from the wall socket. This goes into 2 connecter blocks 1 for Live & 1 for Neutral. Your stuff is then connected to these block L to L & N to N .

A nother Live goes to the swithes. Thus when you flip the switch you break the Live power supply.

Another cool thing you can do is to add a small ampmeter on your pumps. If the amerage usage increases on the needle your pumps are working harder / needs cleaning etc.

Will take a pick and upload

5. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

thanks gents.

where can I buy the female plugs... builders looked at me as if i was doff.

Frans, how do you do the cleaning of pumps etc with them all still connected?

6. FransSny

FransSny

Sorry Neil, forgot to say I am using male / female plugs (the auto type). beteen the connector block & the N to the pump & the connector block to the L at the switch. Only on the pumps

Hope this makes sense...

7. schalkvj

schalkvj

Hi Neil

I believe the female plug is called a Janus Coupler. I used two of them in order to "bypass" my inverter should it break. (It's much easier than working with a DB board IMO.)

LessTen - Janus Coupler Black (Powered by CubeCart)

Got mine from Mica. (The heavy duty blacks ones work well and assemble much easier than the cheapies.)

Recent Posts