electrical costs

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ashley100, 10 Jul 2011.

1. ashley100

ashley100

does anybody know how to work out the electrical cost of running a tank?

if i can take the amp readings is there a formula i can use to work out the electrical cost

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. inflames

inflames

Hi Dude,

Take your wattage rating of everything that runs in your tank and add it together.
    Electricity is calculated per Kilowatt or per 1000 watts.

As an example...

You have a 300 watt heater that will turn 8 time s a day for a total of 3 hours, so 3 X 300 watts is 900watts. This is just under 1000watts, so round it off!

A light fitting of 250watt metal halide will add up to 1000watts every four hours its on (4X 250 = 1000) ! So 8 hours a day will be 2 kilowatt or 2000watts of electricity. not sure what the new rates are but old rates were about 85cents per kilowatt, so 8 hours is 2 kilowatt which is R1,70 per day (if your light is one for 8 hours a day) which is about R51 a month to run that metal halide!

Just add total wattage up per hour and then melutiply the wattage in increments of 1000 to get your consumption and then multiply that by the rate per kilowatt!

Hope this helps!

Last edited: 10 Jul 2011
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well, the actual cost as in price, depends on what rate your city council decides to punish you.

Easiest is to add all the wattage of all your equipment together. There are a calculator somewhere where you can enter the hours per item, plus wattage. And it will give you your total usage.

I got myself an Owl unit. Easier, just connect to the mains and it gives me an up to date reading on current consumption, plus total for day, previous day, week etc.

5. zak

zak

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

your lucky :p kempton and the east rand it was 97c/kw befor the 30% increase. and dont forget there is a winter tarrif for 3 months (june -august) I think it was like R1.60/kw

7. Max98

Max98

Same here in PTA.

8. Quintonv

Quintonv

Good Posts :thumbup:

9. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

I used Zak's link and when i work it out at 8 hours with my lights and pumps (heater on for all 8 hours even though its not on for 8 hours) @ R1.15 it costs me R138.59 rand a month to run my tank. That's cheap hey. Now i got to find out what is using all my electricity.

Thanks for the help guys

Last edited: 11 Jul 2011
  10. pXius

pXius

I think people should do this test before they reply in the "How much does your tank cost you?" thread.

11. shrimpman

shrimpman

What it costs.

Hi to all,As people are on about costs running a tank in the uk my wife pays around £1500 a year on power and £50 a year on gas.The power costs are for every thing not just the tank,i have no idear what the tank costs on it,s own.(looking for a bigger tank).It costs what it costs. shrimpman.(ps i must be mad)

12. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I just bought myself one as well, and have been playing around with it since yesterday - BIG SHOCK :eek: :eek:

My tank consumes around 33.8 KiloWatt-hours of electricity per day (24 hours) - that works out to approximately R31.13 per day, or R950.00 per month :eek: But I suppose with 1.2kW of metal halide lights on the tank it's to be expected...

Time to seriously consider alternative lighting :whistling:

Hennie

13. Annoying

Annoying

Wow Hennie now that's a huge amount, but it's worth it your tank looks amazing!

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

just crook the meter :whistling:

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What is your current consumption, lights on and out?
    Had you played around checking the other things in the house, like the kettle, fridge, entertainment centre (incl. playstation) in standby mode.

My Owl unit is currently on the geyser. Got a bypass timer switch installed (as advertised by Eiskom) and a blanket plus pipe coverings. The blanket and pipe coverings made more of an impact than the timer. Actually, last two weeks testing with timer for a week and without. So far, not using the timer bypass at all uses less electricity than by using the timer. I reckon its something to do with geyser cooling down too much and when eventually its get power it takes a lot to warm up the water. Other things like time between showers for people in the house makes a difference. I take my shower and next person only an hour later takes more power.

Only issue at the moment, on Fridays we use a lot more electricity on the geyser only compared to other days. And that is the day our maid comes in. Take into account we are only measuring the geyser. Wonders if she uses our shower...:whistling:

16. Reef Maniac

Yup, pretty much checked everything, including the wife's moods :biggrin:

Full summary of the tank is as follow:

.....................................Amp.....Watt
    PanWorld main pump.......1.54....354.2
    Eheim on Berlin skimmer..0.42......96.6
    Deltec skimmer...............0.70....161.0
    Polario...........................0.25......57.5
    Powerheads....................0.15......34.5
    Chiller (Halea).................2.24....515.2
    Chiller pump (Eheim).......0.42......96.6
    Fan...............................0.14......32.2
    Heaters.........................2.52.....579.6
    Lights: MH.....................5.25...1207.5
    Light: Other DT..............0.49.....112.7
    Lights: sump/refugium...............100 (estimate)

The shock comes in when one multiplies the Wattage by the hours consumed, mith many of the equipment running 24/7 :eek:

Hennie

Last edited: 18 Jul 2011
  17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Would be interesting to see just the chillers result for a 24h period. Like a house geyser it should not be on all the time. Does it run for short time periods, or is it on almost all day long?

The 24/7 culprits use combined (pumps, powerheads and skimmers) 703.8.
    Not sure if Chiller pump is also 24/7 so I exclude its 96.6. If yes, then its 800.4 W for 24/7. Ouch. That will be a lot more at the end of the day than your lights.

If you want to save, you need to look at the main pump and skimmer pumps.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2011
  18. Reef Maniac

Man, that chiller gave me goose bumps when it pulled about 16A for the first 30 seconds or so after start-up... fortunately is then settled down to the 2.2A whilst running.

During the cold winter months it only runs for about an hour towards the end of the MH lighting period (switches on twice for about 30 minutes each time...), but during the summer it easily runs for 6-8 hours intermittently, sometimes even long into the night when the maximum temperature hits the high 30°'s. It is pretty potent, though, and usually drops the water temperature by the set 1.0°C within 30 - 45 minutes or so.

Yes, the chiller pump runs 24/7. The chiller is located high above the tank, and having the pump only start up with the chiller will result in the chiller working without water for a few seconds every time it starts up. Also, constant stop/start is not good for the pump.

Agreed - but the Pan World and Eheims are such dependable pumps - my oldest Eheim is now in it's 13th year, and the Pan World has worked non-stop for nearly 7 years... I will be looking at alternatives, but the money saving potential will have to be compared to reliability.

Hennie

19. seank

seank

Saw a nice Sigma Lens .....biiiiig one for not a bad price :biggrin:

Recent Posts