Urgent help needed electrical accident

Papitto

PatrickF
Reaction score
My skimmer went haywire and drained into my 20L bucket last night. Water level dropped and emptied my 20L RO reservoir. The heater was on and my biopellets reactor pump cable resting on the heater, melted. When I added more saltwater, there were 2 loud bangs early hours this morning.
Today my sps look dead, the lps are retracted and softies all slightly retracted as well. Fish are all fine.

Did a 15% wc and put new pump in for reactor. Is there anything I can do to save these corals in pics?

IMG_20150530_182434.jpg

IMG_20150530_182446.jpg

IMG_20150530_182520.jpg

Reaction score
Move to a new tank. The electrical current has caused excessive irons.

Do not try and save the corals and fish in that tank. Success is limited. Best to relocate. IMO

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Would large (50%+) water changes help in a situation like this?

Reaction score
@Papitto chuck in as much (GAC) carbon in a sock as you have or can find. This will help draw the irons out.

Get a buddy to help baby sit your LS till you get your water back to normal. Your filter will also have taken a knock. Watch out for cycle spikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
The balding spots on that coral in your other thread could also have been an indication of the issue being in place for some time.

Reaction score
Also go down to the lfs and grab a bottle of prime....i see on the bottle it will eliminate the chloramine and iron and states you should double dose for extreme cases....ive used tho in the past for this type of incident to help purify the water.

Papitto

PatrickF
Reaction score
@Nemos Janitor @warrmich

Thank you for the help. Recovery seems to be taking place slowly.
Added a bag of purigen into my sump, have 2 DIY GAC reactors running and been using prime.
Responses are good. my corals opening up again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom