ELECTRIC FLAME SCALLOP - Nano safe?

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by Raven, 29 Feb 2012.

1. Raven

Raven

Good evening,

ELECTRIC FLAME SCALLOP - Nano safe - meaning, can I put it my Nano, or do I need a big ass tank for it?
    I'm currently busy planning what to put in my Nano...
    I've spotted some ELECTRIC FLAME SCALLOP's today, while browsing the net.

It's a 50l tank + 50l filter....

Will you advice me to get one or not really?
    What is your experience with it?
    I'm planning to get some other filter feeders as well, so this might just be a nice addition to my tank....

Some sites that I've read said that it's difficult to keep & feed, and some said that as long as you feed it, it should not be a problem.

So - what's your take?

Last edited: 29 Feb 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

they are beautiful creatchures and fantastic to watch, although my experience with them (limited personal experience as i dont wish to repeat my mistakes) is that they are very hard to feed and ive read that 90% starve to death in tanks. i have heard of aquariums doing well with them, but how they feed i am not sure. I would stay well away and especially not in a nano as feeding will most likely lead to water quality issues.

i personally place them in the catagory of leave them in the wild.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

they are filter feeders.

They do move around if they are not happy. But they do not last for long in our systems.

5. rudeboy1

rudeboy1

They are beautiful and they make a real beautiful addition to a reef tank. But they are temporary members to your reef.

I had one when I first started reefkeeping. He did so well for about 8 months, constant feeding of phyptoplankton with a syringe, 2 to 3 times a day.

So basically, very beautiful for your reef but eventually they will die unless you have the time to keep them well fed.

6. Ares

Ares

I personally have never owned one , however I have seen them at a lps and they are truely an amazing creatures .

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I agree with Crispin, rather leave them. Also tried one long time ago, it died after a few months. Will never keep one again.

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

I have. Had a few scallops come in unordered when I worked at the LFS, sadly none survived, I have even caught a flame scallop while diving here in east london and the same result.

One of those mysteries yet to be solved.

9. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies...
    I think I will then rather stay away from it... :-(

It would have been awesome though...

An idea (NOT some thing that I would try, or could afford -money/time), and that is to setup a small tank, where you feed heavily, and do regular water changes. Maybe every 2/3 days. Thus they will have enough to eat. And you can keep you water clean?

Or even beter:
    Add a second bigger tank, which you can use to "clean" the water from the water changes. (A huge refugium tank.) You can then use this tank to swap the water between you Scallop tank & the "cleaned" water tank..?

The reason for the small Scallop tank, is that if you add -lets say 50mm Marine Snow in a 50l daily, will be more concentrated, than a 300l tank? Does this makes sense?

So you can in effect safe a bit of money on water changes?
    BUT you will need to replace the water in the bigger tank at least monthly?

And then - what if you add a big scrubber to the NANO? A big over rated Scrubber, which will remove all the Phosphates ect?

Like I said - not something that I can try at the moment... But maybe someone else can try this?

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

It is not how much you feed but what you feed. They don't eat the foods available and slowly starve to death. It will look like they eat, but the food is not taken up. Don't buy it cause it WILL die in your tank, and then the LFS will order more as he sees there are a market for them and more will die...

11. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

oh...
    Damn... Ok - I thought it was just a case of not getting enough food...
    Such a pitty, and really sad!

Will def not get one.

Question: Why is it that animals like this are then even Allowed to be imported?
    And there are other species like this, that doesn't last in our tanks!

Why can't these species not be "Banned" - put on a black list or something?
    AND - what is even worse - why are *sponsors* importing these?

Ok - I know that they are all in it for the money and all, but I think, to be a member of MASA & a sponsor on MASA, the first priority must be for the love of Marines - and not the love of money. Sadly the reall world doesn't work like that!

I personally will rather support a sponsor, that follows an "ethical" contuct. (Not sure if this is the right words..)

A sponsor (Or any other LFS) that:
    1. Will be honest about the care of fish/corals etc. I've chatted with with one of the sponsors yesterday - and was told - yes sure you can get this & that coral for your Nano.... After some research, I've found that these corals will NOT work in my Nano... :-(
    2. A sponsor that will not import & sell species that will not last in our tanks.
    3. A sponsor that will not import blacklisted/redlisted species. About two weeks ago, while on holiday, I've walked into a petshop that's selling life stock that's blacklisted! (Ok, it was not marine stock, but tropical)
    4. Back to honesty - one of the petshops in Vereeniging (NOT the sponsor), was telling one of my friends the biggest amount of BS - just to sell him fish that's NOT compatible for his current tank!

I must say, Ernst from the VisDam is always honest, and always helpfull regaring advice on what to get, and what not - what will work in my tank and what not. (Thanks!)

Ok - enough raving from my side.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2012
  12. crispin

crispin

well this is a topic thats been thrashed out a number of times on here and most of the times it NOT the LFS that deliberately imports them but its the exporter that places them in a bag to fill up the order. IE the shop orders X number of hippo tangs and gets Y number of flame scallops instead, so dont be too fast to blame the shop for deliberate importation.

I do however think the LFS should NOT SELL them, but rather either keep them themselves (i am referring to unwanted 'filler items' which come in) and NOT pay the exporter as thats relay the only way to get the message across that they should stay in the ocean. But then again most exporters have already been paid BEFORE the shipment is send so that doesn't help unless you work at building a long term relationship with the exporter so they know not to send things not ordered. imply put its a problem that happens on a level above which we as hobbyists can impact, other than by knowing what to buy and what NOT to buy and not to purchase things that might be unsuited for our tank (or not to catch them ourselves)

It is VERY important to build a relationship with your LFS, be upfront about what you want to achieve with your tank, how old it is, how big it is and how much experience you personally have. If you do them most LFS will remember you as a return customer and not try sell things they know shouldn't go into your tank. But frankly i believe we as a marine hobbist group are too fast to blame a LFS for something when infarct we should have known better ourselves. Well done to you for asking before buying, it saves alot of LIFE and money in the end.

what coral where you recommended for a nano which you think will ow be unsuitable?

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

They mostly do not.
    They order fish and corals, say enough to make 20 boxes.
    The suppler other side, can add anything he like to fill those boxes. Not enough to fill them up and he adds a bag or 2 (or more) with Muricidae snails, or flame scallops, or decorator crabs, or bamboo shark or whatever. And once landed, the LFS can do nothing about it. It is paid, money out of the country. Too expensive to sent one bag back. Only option is to never buy from that suppler again.

14. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

I totally agree with you on this. I know that alot of the times the LFS will get these as fillers...

But LFS should not sell these items - OR - at least be very honest about it to customers. Give them all the details - be honest.
    I also agree that the most of us on MASA do some research before buying stuff. But how many horror stories do we hear about people that lost thousands, because they trust the sales person at the LFS - and only later discover MASA...(A bit too late)

At least I've builded a relationship with my local lfs, which is also a sponsor. And like I've mentioned - he will always be honest with me....

Ok the coral that I've mentioned - was actually the scallop...:( (Didn't want to mentioned it in my post, as it was a sponsor that I was chatting to in JHB)
    But the advice from him was:
    Sure - you can keep it! Just make sure that you have very good lights (at least T5 or MH's & you should be fine! They are pretty easy to keep! And they are very good filter feeders - will even help to filter out some food to help to have a clean tank...
    Ouch.
    Not one of the statements above was actually correct!

Sorry, this thread is actually getting a bit out of context.

15. crispin

crispin

well good on you for checking out before you purchase:) now you can spend that momney on something that will be more worth while for you:)

Recent Posts