Electric Field

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by marsbrat, 27 Jan 2011.

1. marsbrat

marsbrat

Hi all,

My tank has now been running about three weeks since the final setup and all is well. Last night I attached a Frag in the tank and when I placed the rock back into the tank I felt what seemed like a electric shock. Does this seem normal? I was barefoot on a wettish floor at the time, but with all the pumps and heaters etc there could be quite a bit of electricity in the tank, OR do I have a short somewhere. I must add, I felt this shock on just a piece of cut skin.

Thanks
    :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chas84

chas84

I experienced the exact same thing a while ago. Turned out to be my heater, luckily it's a TL550, so I don't need a heater for it.

4. Achilles

Achilles

Even with properly insulated equipment, if you use alot of electric appliances in the aquarium , stray voltage does build up in your aquarium - it is best to get some titanium wire immersed in the tank attach it to some insulated copper electrical wire (outside the water and insulated)attach this to the earth of an electrical plug and plug it in. this will ground your aquarium instead of you acting as the ground when you put your hands in it.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2011
  5. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Obviously this low current charge can do damage to corals and fish right?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do it again tonight, either use yourself as an earth, or if you got a multimeter use it. Take a standard SA 3 pin wall plug. Just connect a earth wire, only that. That is the big thick pin (for the non-DIY guys). Attach your multimeter black line to it, and the red, drop that temporary in the tank. Put it on 240V

Switch everything off. Then switch one item by one back on, every time check your multimeter. You will find the item that gives stray voltage.

Just remember your heater might be off, at the moment you switch it on. Just lift it, so that it switches on, then replace it.

Or, if you use your body, just stick your hand back into the tank after every item is switched on. And dry your hands before touching the multiplugs.... bzzzzed.

7. marsbrat

marsbrat Thread Starter

Can it cause damage to fish and corals...?

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

not in short term. They are isolated. But long term can affect the lateral line on fish.

And it is more chocking to kids than adults. for some reason. Test it, next time touch a kid with a finger while your other hand is in the tank. You feel almost nothing, they jump.

Worst I had was 132V. That I felt like mad. Arms get that shaking feeling. Was my heater.

9. marsbrat

marsbrat Thread Starter

Thanks will test tonight and give feedback! If it is the heater, does that mean it is on its way out or just something we Mariners have to live with!

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

132v .... What a joke .... Beat this ... I had a double headed sun sun pump come of its suction cups and twisted itself untill its live wire came out of the pump and was bare ... 208Volts .... Now that was a BZZZZZZ! Now I have an earth wire permenantly in the sump ... Now the earth leakage just trips when there's trouble looming and I don't get a physcodillic hairstyle
    check this out .... http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=16569&highlight=grounding

Last edited: 27 Jan 2011
  11. animalia

animalia

@chickaboo Too late your hairstyle is psycedelic - use your wife's hairdryer next time.:tt2:

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

he he ... sorry should have said "more" physco! Unfortunately with all the gray hair thats overtaking the black, I'm looking like an oupa now .... BTW ... hows the "winkel" coming along? ... I'm sure I read here somewhere that electricity was being used to stimulate growth in corals .. now where was that?
    Posted via Mobile Device

13. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Thanks for all the advice guys :thumbup:

14. Achilles

Achilles

Some Electrical equipment which isnt even faulty will cause current in water, low but some is caused Salt water is very conductive and therefore all tanks should be grounded. It is not uncommmon for fish like triggers and invertebrates like urchins to chew through electrical cables exposing copper and releasing electricity.

To prevent issues like this if you have a cable in the water in an area where fish/invertebrates with strong jaws can access it, create an additonal sleeve around it using clear flexible tubing(diff sizes often available) slit the tubing with a razor down the side and clamp it over the electrical cord.

15. chikaboo

chikaboo

Great advice Achilles .... We use this method with our installations of our cables that are exposed to dogs ..... why didn't I think of that ..... Also found that T5's have more of an effect than MH!
    Posted via Mobile Device

16. marsbrat

marsbrat Thread Starter

I tested using the EINA method...seems like it goes away if I put the power on my return pump off...gonna try the grounding thing today...

17. marsbrat

marsbrat Thread Starter

Just tested with the Voltmeter and sitting on about 60V on the return pump...thinking of pulling the pump out and checking its connections? Any ideas on this!?

18. Falcon

Falcon

hehe while trying to fix a light when i was younger i held onto both ends of a normal fluorescent fitting as it kicked one day(which is around 300v for 2-3seconds) lol what a blast:biggrin:

In my tank i also had a current but it would strike at the worst time...when my hand was all the way down in the tank and touching both the wet bracing and water also not very nice...scraped my hand pulling it out fast against the bracing.....chika you earth it with normal wire or titanium like achilles recommended?

Last edited: 29 Jan 2011
  19. chikaboo

chikaboo

For the time it's normal earth wire that electricians use but my bro-in-law is organising me one of them titanium rods from his work place so will be replacing it soon .....
    Posted via Mobile Device

20. Falcon

Falcon

Not good,that is copper you know.Get that titanium rod asap boet.

Oh and just in case anyone hasn't already realized it,always wear rubber soled shoes while working in the tank and make sure the floor is dry...this should stop you from acting as an earth for the current.

21. marsbrat

marsbrat Thread Starter

Does this rod totally eliminate the electrical field or cause your earth leakage to trip if there is a current?

Also, where can I get a titanium rod like this?

Recent Posts