Urgent help needed electric blue hermit lethargic

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Barlan, 11 Apr 2012.

1. Barlan

Barlan

hi all, i need some help, i'm VERY new to reefing. like 6 weeks new :)
    i have 2 gold and black chromis(for about 3 weeks) and 1 electric blue (6 weeks) and one live rock in a 37 liter tank.
    my hermit crab was fine when we got him, even in the first 2 weeks of having fish, he'd explore the LR and when feeding time came (twice a day) he'd move onto the substrate to get to the pellets. in the last 2 weeks, he became very lethargic, not moving and not eating, then he picked a bigger shell, molted a few days after this. his new shell is 2.5 X bigger than his original and he gets stuck in holes in the LR, from which, i have to rescue him (his legs are dangling and he literally cant move his shell, i realised this when i saw him reaching out of his shell trying to grip onto the rock below him.) he's still not eating - i put pellets right in front of him, he did nothing, didnt even move. the front of his body is visible, so he's not hiding, but i haven't seen him eat or move - unless i move him to see if he's alive and force him to move back to his "spot".

water params:
    nitrates are a bit high, between 15 - 30, shot up when we got the fish.
    salinity is 1.022, we're trying to up it to 1.025. but it was as low as 1.019 once and he was fine then.
    rest is fine.
    food: marine flakes for the fish and some marine pellets (3-5) occasionally- used to be every feeding, when he ate. frozen blood worms, once.
    water changes: once a week, around 40% - to try drop nitrate level.
    filtration system: (all built into the back - aquaria magic wave 37) consisting of a mini venturi skimmer, blue sponge, seachem matrix bio media and bioballs, ceramic rings and the water pump.
    i'm trying anything and everything to bring down the nitrates.

the fish seem fine, they eat, they swim, the hide from time to time.
    does anyone have any idea what's wrong with my hermit crab?

please help.

thank you.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...how long has this Tank been running....? You mention roughly 6 weeks...the Fishes 3 weeks and the Hermit 6 weeks....is this AFTER you'r Tank has cycled...?

4. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

thank you for replying :) we got everything from the LFS (their cycled stuff), their substrate, LR, water and ceramic rings. cycled for another 2 weeks before adding any live stock. when we went to get fish, they checked our levels and everything was fine. there have been no major changes to our routine.
    i cant find anything about why he would start mimicking a statue... his colours are still vibrant.

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

6. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

will do, thanks again.

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum.

I find my hermits are very shy after sheading. maybe their exoskeleton is not yet hard and they hide in fear of predators.

How long since he shead?

also with regards to your water
    Do you have an OR unit?
    Mixing your own salt or using NSW?

8. mandrin

mandrin

wecom to MASA hows yr hermit doin

9. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

hi all, we have an RO/DI unit, and use Salinity salt.

hermit molted during the morning of the 2nd of april. so just over a week. he was hiding for about 3 days - i panicked - but then moved around and ate some algae off the LR. this past week, (5 days) he's only moved when i move him - back to his spot - else just sits in his spot.

granted we have a bully chromis, but he's bigger than the fish. so he has no predators.

one thing i didnt mention that is a new feature in the tank and possibly a problem, is some brown stains on the tank walls, it looks like red sand has been thrown at the glass/back wall and left a smidgen of a mark. its not like any algae i've seen pics of on the net. i wiped it off when i did the water change, twice now. i'll take a pic tonight. this was noticed jsut before easter weekend.

and thanks for the welcome :)

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Did the hermit only have one shell to choose from? How much too big is his new shell, it might be a bit heavy to move around.
    The algae stuff sounds like diatoms, common in new tanks. It should go away in a while.

11. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Agreed the Diatoms will dissappear with time

12. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

he had 8 shells to choose from ranging from about 2cm length and 1cm width to about 5cm X 2cm. his new shell is about 3-4cmX2cm. i feel its too big for him cause he gets stuck in gaps on the LR, but he chose it. plus i figure if he wasnt happy, wouldn't he leave it? i want to get more shells for him, these are old ones i found in the sea, boiled in ro water and then put them in the tank. but i'm not sure where to get. what if that is the problem!!

thing is, i put the pellets in front of him, and he didnt even move. they were literally 0.5 cm away from his claws.

as for the diatoms, i'll just keep cleaning it off with each water change.

i'm so worried i'm gonna wake up one morning and find him dead.

are there no specific tests i can do? my test kit has the following: ph, alkalinity, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, all my levels except for nitrates are fine.

13. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Is it pecking anyhting off the rocks?
    Out of curiosity, what are your parameters?

14. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

hi 459b, our water params are as here: Detailed form submitted: Barlan - Marine Aquariums of South Africa, i dont have a set value for ammonia and nitrites, but ammonia was fine, the nitrites were detectable, on the 2nd circle (using tropic marine expert test kit)...i'll get the details this weekend when we do the water change.

and no,we dont see him pecking at anything. for all intents and purposes, he looks normal, but he's not moving or eating... i left some pellets on the rock in front of his face, and thought he ate them, only to spot one of the bristle stars steal it. so i havent seen him eat at all, not even the algae.

i moved him from the top of the rock to the substrate last night, he moved back to the top of the rock by himself, i missed it, but at least he moved. other than my forced repositioning, he doesn't move... and i dont know why.

our current salinity is 1.022, we put in 1L of 1.024 last night, with the water change on sat, we're gonna try up it to 1.025, but we dont know what the salinity of the new water should be, to get the old water to 1.025...

is it advisable to make the new water salinity high, say 1.026/7/8 and then mix it into the 1.022 water? will that be too much of a shock? will it equalize to 1.025? how can we get it to 1.025? there's hardly any evaporation now since its getting colder.

has any one had any experiences like mine?

Recent Posts