elecrical or generator guru"s please help

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by duanead, 2 Aug 2011.

1. duanead

duanead

Hi guys so I'm setting up my tank and everything is fine,but ill need something to keep my pump alive when the power goes down,what can I buy and what would you guys suggest?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

4. vinesh

vinesh

Hi,
    just installed a pure sine wave ups inverter this weekend. Works perfectly.

5. Tony

Tony

A ups is best especially if you're not at home when the power goes out. Gennies are nice for long term as a UPS only lasts for so long before going flat

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Hi sorry to high-jack Thread..I'm clueless to all this...I read all the Threads and I'm still clueless..:blush: I have a Boyu TL 450 and it's about 58L...I just want to go into Game or Makro or whatever Store and buy a Generator..can anyone give me some Names and/or Models that would be suitable for my 58L Tank..sorry for high-jacking..

7. Tony

Tony

Belinda, go for a UPS and a nice big one that will run your tank for about 10 hours. Calculate your total wattage on your tank by adding the watts of heaters, pumps, skimmers etc and multiply that by two to guage what sized UPS you want. If you want to go the gennie route, I dont think the brands are to concerning but you will want to go for a 2,2 KVa which is plenty for your tank. If you want to run appliances (fridge, TV etc) in your house as well go up to a 5.5 KVa. Factor in what I said in my first thread with the pros and cons of UPS's and gennies.

8. belindamotion

Hi Tony...If it's something where I can walk into a Store and buy, then by all means I'll get a UPS...but I'm so clueless it's scarely..:eek: All I want is something to keep my Fish Tank going when there is a Power failure..diesel or petrol..It really doesn't matter because anything is better than my nothing at the moment..:(

9. KeeganP

KeeganP

:p of cause you can walk in and buy a UPS, Go to any pc store 80% will have them, try incredible connection... I think for your tank a 500Kv should be fine for a few hours, but obviously bigger is better.

10. Tony

Tony

Belinda gop to a shop and see what they recommend. Write it down and ask the forum about the size and brand. The more info the better.There are guys more knowledgeable in this department than me and will help you along

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Belinda, you need to give this some thought, and us some more info... IF you will be at home most of the time (housewife???), then a generator will work just fine (you need to physically start the small/cheap gennies yourself, and to do that you obviously need to be home when the power goes off). If you work, or are away from home for long periods, then a UPS or inverter (actually the same thing...) will be better, as it can switch over to battery power automatically. The challange with this type of backup is to have sufficient capacity to last until you get back home - say 8-10 hours in most cases.

If used as a short-term emergency measure (i.e. a few hours), then it is not necessary to allow for the heater and lights - this will increase the size/cost of the system quite dramatically. What is important is to maintain water movement, thus pumps, skimmers, reactors, etc.

Hennie

12. belindamotion

Hi Reef Maniac..yes I'm currently a SAHM and that's why I wanted a Gennie as the chances are excellent that someone will be at home when Power goes off...the other reason I wanted one was the fact that I have a 4yr old...boy is she nosey...!! Don't want anything with exposed wires or circuitry..just want to "plug in and play"...:blush:

Recent Posts