Eleaze's Boyu TL450

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Eleaze, 28 Dec 2009.

1. Eleaze

Eleaze

Hi all, nice site, been reading since round about Oct 09. Bought a Boyu TL450 for my daughter, Savannah's, room, kick started on 5 Oct with just sand, two weeks later added live rock, Then in Nov added some corals etc, then at beginning of Dec added fish. Everything been going fine to date. I have a purple coral like thing (not sure of the name), which has not opened for 4 days now. Do regular weekly water test with a Sera Nitrite-test, which has tested well on light yellow, result 0.0mg/l for weeks now. Feeding with about 10 drops of Kent Marine" ChromaPlex" every 3rd day, and 10 drops each of Kent Marine "Nano=Reef" part A and B every other day except the day that the "ChromaPlex" is fed. Fish, shrimps and crabs eating very well. Salt water tested with a hydrometer and everything fine there.

Please can the experts give me some advise on this one. Also any other advice on the positioning of things in my tank etc. Thanks for the assistance. Hope the pictures uploaded OK.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Eleaze, and WELCOME to you and to Savanna to this great hobby (more like a way of life...) and to MASA.

It sounds as if you're on the right track, having started out slowly, and alloing enough time for the system to adapt to the increases in bio-load :thumbup:

I'm not a great believer in these liquid "foods" - I believe they are more truthfully called liquid pollutants.

This is a calcium and alkalinity supplement, and would be beneficial. You should, however, test your alkalinity (aka hardness) every week or so, and adjust your dosing levels according to the test results. You could save yourself a bundle of money if you used DIY additives - these being calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate (yes, normal baking soda :)), but on a recently set up, smallish tank such as yours it would be better to continue using a commercial product for the first few months, at least until you understand the water chemistry of your system.

That's very good, and a positive indication that your tank has cycled. You can now ease off on this test (perhaps checking once per month...) and start to test for nitrate, phosphate, pH, alkalinity and calcium, as these are the long-term important parameters which you must monitor for the rest of the life of the tank. These tests should be done at least once a week for the next few months (until you're sure that your system is stable), and thereafter perhaps every second week or so.

Just to make sure that we all agree, what do you consider to be "fine"?

Ummm, nope...

Will comment more after you've come right with the photos...

Hennie

4. Eleaze

Eleaze Thread Starter

I'm trying to upload pictures, lets try again

Attached Files:

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

Looks like green star polyps

Not good if they don't extend soon, sure sign something is wrong with your water parameters, should look like this:

[​IMG]

good luck

7. Reef Maniac

st it
    OK, very nice :biggrin: :thumbup:

To post the photos directly into your thread, do the following (I'm not a boffin with this, so let's hope that I get it right...):

• Ensure photos are in jpeg format, and not larger than 800x600 pixels in size.
    • Click on the "Quick Upload" link below the Smilies. This should open a new window called "Image Uploader"
    • Click on the "Browse" button and browse your computer to locate the photo. (It helps if you place the photos in a known folder before you start this...)
    • Click on "Host it"
    And there you have your photo...
    • [​IMG]

8. Reef Maniac

LOL - I see that Warr has done the same... :biggrin:

9. Reef Maniac

OK, now for some questions...

How deep is the sand bed, and what type sand did you use?
    What lighting do you have?

One further comment - Starfish are either carnivorous, or need to eat detritus or algae, depending on type of starfish. Id does not look as if your tank has enough algae, detritus or small prey animals in the sand to feed the starfish. You should perhaps consider returning it to the pet shop, or selling/giving it away to a reefer with a more established tank.

Agreed, but these things are virtually indestructible, and the other inverts appear to be in good health. I'm sure that they will start to emerge soon - perhaps just check if there is enough water flow over them, but not directly on them.

Hennie

10. Eleaze

Eleaze Thread Starter

Hi there, thanks all for the responses. Ok regarding the sand, chips of shells, or I thinkit's called substrate: here is a picture of both the depth and what I have in the tank in this regard.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 28 Dec 2009
  11. Warr7207

Warr7207

Not ideal, as it will trap loads of detritus, I would suggest a finer, smaller particle substrate like aragonite or playsand

12. Reef Maniac

Agreed - it is very course, and will trap detritus. It also won't help much with reducing nitrates (the main reason for having a deep live sand bed (DLSB).

Eleaze, please in future post your photos in your messages, if possible (as I explained in post number 6 above) - it makes it a lot easier for everyone, than having to open a word document every time (it's also safer, virus wise...)

Hennie

13. mnd123

mnd123

Welcome welcome, nice to have another reefer that introduces the young uns to it (my wife does not know that my 1 year old little girl will also have a tank!

Nice looking nano, wrt the Green Star Polyps, I have had mine sulk for days on end - but as indicated above, whatch them closely

14. Eleaze

Eleaze Thread Starter

Eleaze Boyu TL450 all ok now

15. Falcon

Falcon

yeah i have only brown ones in my tank but even the green ones colour depends on lighting and water conditions etc so as long as they open most of the time then they are healthy....have you done any water changes yet?if not i suggest you 10% every two weeks.;)

16. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

Any updates on this tank?

Recent Posts