eish...so many thoughts/arguments/you dont know what you getting yourself into

Discussion in 'New Members' started by prometheus, 16 Mar 2011.

1. prometheus

prometheus

hi all.

i've had some good and bad experiences to date with regards to advice about keeping a marine tank. "Do you know how much this is going to cost you?", "Are you sure you want to go with (type of tank here)", "You are getting into a very expensive game", "What skimmer are you using", "You are Okay without a skimmers", "if you use this tank you willl have a nitrate problems, all my customers do"," you will be fine, just do water changes"," you saw my 2nd hand tank, you dont want it, I have to hear from MASA, nice one" (I sent an email of apology, tried to call with my reasons of not wanting your tank but no answer, I never offered any confirmation that I am taking your tank), I'm sure you are reading this, you know who are.

Anyways, there you have it. I was so excited about getting a marine tank, saved for years, and now all this. Guys whats going on.

Well, to all the naysayers, I am getting my tank :)

Will be filling water, add salt, let the external canister filter run for about a week, do tests then what????

oh and pardon me for my absolute ignorance in your otherwise brilliant world of knowledge...(yes negative but I am annoyed)

Last edited: 16 Mar 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Congrats :) .. Hell you can use a plastic tub as a tank also :p ... No sump? After adding the salt, let it run for a day then add a few pieces of live rock to start the cycle. it takes about a month to cycle, if you dose a bacterial additive such as sea chem stability it will he;p the cycle and may shorten it. Please read the threads in the beginner section, there is a wealth of info here :) .. Welcome by the way :)

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined us. Start by reading the link in my signature on starting a marine tank - great info for beginners ;)

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

Yeah just do as Tobes said.. Some people don't, later they regret it :p

6. prometheus

prometheus Thread Starter

thanks, been reading that for a while now

7. prometheus

thank you

8. prometheus

guys, i am looking at going very very slowly, always keeping in mind that only bad things happen fast, so I can wait knowing the end result will be more than perfect....

Having said that, I want to mention the dreaded tap water. do i use it and add chemicals to de-chorinate (and wait) or do I have to go and buy RO water which may be a challenge?

9. jacoc

jacoc

Seriously...well done you starting …the next step is to have patience…keeping marines isn’t difficult and doesn’t have to be expensive…The cycle period is important and stocking to soon very bad..
    Yes there will be a lot saying do this and do that.. But on the end the success is mainly determent on your patients…as long as you follow the basic rules…filtration…as much live rock you can get your hands on as this eventually becomes the biological cycle with in the tank itself …and natural substrate or live sand….a lot of success out there with canister filtration…But..an overflow with a hole to a sump or other external filter would be better….it can even run the canister for now… at some stage later on you might want to stock more or want to add to the filtering got some extra cash to spend and that will make it easier if you want to change to a sump filter…if you didn’t do that then canisters can be added later on to enhance filtration…if you go on “you-tube” you will see the success around the world re canister filtration…
    At the end and the beginning if one want to start this it is what you can afford or willing to spend that determents the initial outlay for the tank size and type of filtration… your success doesn’t get determined by your wallet size… keeping marine is a way of live and not a hobby …although most people say this is a hobby ….I suppose to them that is all it is ….as they seem to always have to have the newest and the best gadgets available and that is typical how hobbyists act…be clever in doing window shopping first and ask questions as all the lfs out there won’t necessarily be on your side…there is a lot of sharks and in it for the money and then some honest guys that will advice even if it means they lose a deal...

follof TOBES advice and red on re starting...

10. prometheus

so then, as we go along and so that i have not missed anything, tank>>water>>salt>>wait>>wait>>live rock...

11. jacoc

jacoc

tank..salt mix with water...substrate....live rock...Ad filtration...put power on and...wait ...wait...wait...wait...wait...
    wile waiting add bacterial sublemint i'm not sure but there is many ones available this will also speed the cycle prosess and ad valuble bacteria to the system and filter...last week there was some discussions re bacteria here on masa...then do weekly tests for nitrite and nitrates...after this there might still be some phosphates but that is easy to sort out…

12. jacoc

jacoc

A touchy subject ….but R/O will be of greater benefit …
    buy RO water which may be a challenge?
    Why do you say a challenge…?

13. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Well done prometheus don't be put off by what people say.
    You can do as much research as possible, but will never know until you start a tank!

In that last 8 months I have learned allot, and most of the people on this forum is very helpful and kind to noobs like us!

14. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

IMO everyone has their own styles, there are things that will work for some people that wont work for others, the best thing you can do is read as much as you can bear and then try make decisions that will suit you best. Some people can keep marine tanks in circumstances that would die in the hands of others.
    I have a system that I am comfortable with running and maintenance... so far... and when i go away for work(28 days at a time) my missus takes care of it, by feeding and topping up and basic cleaning...

Some people need to spend 3hours a day on their tanks through out the day...

Welcome and Good Luck bru!

15. robertkukla

robertkukla

well said :thumbup:

16. prometheus

the challenge will be getting drums etc to transport 240l of RO water from LPS to home. Me bestest friend who would have helped has moved to Pretoria (eish eish eish) so dont got no helping hands...If I must get it though I will make a plan, but if you say I can use TW then that I shall do.

thanks

17. Boegie

Boegie

Using tap water will be your biggest mistake. Only ro water or natural sea water need to be used.

18. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA! It really is better to start with RO, just eliminates the unknowns that come with tap water.
    Have you considered filling the tank with sea water?
    How far do you live from the fish shop? Im sure someone in your area will be kind enough to lend you a few drums to transport water.

19. Tremayn

Tremayn

just get your own little RO filter, sure the waterboy can sort you out. In the end you will be saving yourself alot of headaches by getting your own. Its actually the 1st thing I bought

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and Welcome.

Well, as the saying goes, there are many ways to skin a cat.

But in my opinion, there are 3 things that you should do to be on a good starting point. (actually a lot more than 3)
    1. Use biggest and nicest size tank, to your requirements.
    2. Use a sump, so have a tank that is drilled.
    3. Use RO water to start with.

Everything else, can be changed, by replacing the stuff you initially had with better equipment, like lights, circulation pumps, heaters all other equipment. Although at a cost.

But the first 3 things, you cannot change. Unless you start over.

And you need a skimmer. There are 2 pieces of extremely important equipment. But they are also amongst the most expensive to start with. That is a good lightning system, and a good skimmer.

21. prometheus

Hi, guys for the words of wisdom, I will reply/ask questions later as I off to meetings now..Have a great day...

Recent Posts