Punk

Chromis
Reaction score
hi guys, is this aptaisia?? :(

DSC00637.gif

DSC00640.gif

DSC00641.gif

DSC00654.gif

ps. sorry about the poor quality pics, i don't know how to focus my camera (sony cybershot 6mp)??

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely either Aptaisia or majano Punk.... Either is a pest.... Aptiasia's tentacles are usually slightly longer without rounded tips. MAjano's tentacles are shorter with rounder bulbous tips...

Punk

Chromis
Reaction score
thanks jacques, what would you reckon is the best/easiest way to kill it? thanks man

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Injection with hot lemon juice or joes juice or hydrochloric acid usually does the trick.

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Even hot RO if you don't have any of those other things available... If you have kalkwasser mix a paste of that to inject. Of course, for all this you'd need a syringe...

Punk

Chromis
Reaction score
cool thanks guys, so i just inject it & it'll die? should i remove the corpse if i can?

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Yes definitely. I recommend you turn off all pumps while doing it if it's a rock you can remove. If you can though remove the rock and do it in a bucket or something, then scrape off the area it was attached to and then rinse the rock off with tank water before putting it back.

Sometimes when you inject them or whatever they "let go" and float away then you can just net them out.

Punk

Chromis
Reaction score
thanks for your help! i zapped it with hot lemon juice & it shriveled up, then i removed it with a tweezer, couldn't remove the rock as it was at the bottom of the pile...
hope it never returns! :)

thanks! :thumbup:

dendrosa

Reaction score
Yes, as it shrivels up it often detaches. Try and remove all trace of it otherwise you could have re growth from remaining tissue

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
The injection method is sometimes a bit of a hit and miss, especially when the anemone is still small, I let them grow as big as my thumb then I find the needle never misses.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Looks to me more like an innocent little Rock Anemone/Beaded Anemone - Epicystis sp. or Epicystis crucifer - completely reef safe (well as safe as any other anemone) with various different colour morphs and tentacle forms, they apparently can grow up to about 3 inches or 8cm's in diameter. Sorry but I think you just killed a good guy.

Punk

Chromis
Reaction score
Looks to me more like an innocent little Rock Anemone/Beaded Anemone - Epicystis sp. or Epicystis crucifer - completely reef safe (well as safe as any other anemone) with various different colour morphs and tentacle forms, they apparently can grow up to about 3 inches or 8cm's in diameter. Sorry but I think you just killed a good guy.

damn! that sucks man :(
next time i'll wait a bit before just killing it out right......

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RiaanP Power cuts 22
B ID Needed 4
adrian11 Wanted 6
Reaper Fresh Water Tanks Discussion 12
C Medium Tanks 11