Eheim Wet/Dry Cannister 2229

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Thommo, 22 Oct 2009.

1. Thommo

Thommo

Can anybody tell me if Eheim wet/dry cannisters are available in SA. Has anyone owned or run a marine setup on this particular model?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

They are available but ..... Expensive, and not really what one requires to set up a modern marine system. IMO

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i take it you looking for the one that purges itself? they have been in the country a while but dont really do the rounds in the marine scene though.. the reason canister filter are not too popular is because the convert ammona - nitrite - nitrate very quickly.. and leave us with a nitrate level to contend with.. DSB's and LR are suffiecient.. i personally dont even run a dsb...

5. Thommo

Thommo Thread Starter

Les, what filtration are you using?

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

gary i use only LR in the display and have a oversized skimmer 2000lt on a 700lt system but am reducing this to a smaller one (1500lt) . i pay special attention to keeping my LR clean from sediment and detritus so that it can perform at peak capacity..

i will be adding a new sump and i will incorporate a sand bed of some sort wether its going to be the depth required for a dsb im not sure yet..

my opinion on canisters it that they are excellent to be used with either, phosphate and nitrate sponge or (and prefered) nothing at all acting solely as a closed loop system.

your LR in your system performs exactly the same thing and more (denitrification if the correct density rock is used) than the canister ever will.

7. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Thommo The canister filter you are looking for is a very specilized filter allowing two thirds of it to be exposed to air offering a much greater aerobic filter amazing on a fresh water tank. We used to use them a long time ago and only down side is the rate that Nitrate is produced else a very effect filter in breaking down waste. I would not however rule out the option of a canister filter they to can be modified to create a very effective Nitrate remover. (P.S not a wet dry filter)

8. Thommo

Thommo Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Just curious to see what is out there as I run my entire system off a cannister.

Recent Posts