eh hem... OK OK a "Newbie", after 216 months on the internet

Discussion in 'New Members' started by SeanH, 17 Apr 2012.

1. SeanH

SeanH

Hey all

Well yeah, this is a newbie "Hello Forum" post. So many forums to find through out out life time and no matter how old we get or how long we have been doing a hobby or persuing an interest inevitably you will end up being a newbie SOMEWHERE :lol:

OK so cut a long story short. I used to have marine tanks 22 years ago and for about 5 years. My daughter was watching TV the other night and "wanted those fish".

OK she is 5! Now i KNOW what you may be thinking - she is too young to care for them... she has gold fish so MORE than qualified... I AM KIDDING :tt2:

I will take up the reigns on this project. This afternoon i was glancing through MANY threads here and HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED!! How technology has advanced in this field and how NEW i now feel. Ok I am not altogether a newcommer but i need to learn the new tricks and techniques and I can see that though it costs an outhouse bucket full of money more than i remember i can still remember spending R400 on a protein skimmer and i only earned R1200 at the time!! BUT the problem was it needed 2 airpump inlets to have two opposing flows... anyway...

I went past Idol Marine today and met Louis and the guys and had some chats on the building of a tank. I am very interested In what they have and the way they do it but I guess my bank card will shy away as this wasn't a planned initiative and, as i mentioned, after just buying a new camera and a bunch of lenses another pile of money within a 3 month period won't make things better - at leats not in my head! A clear case of cognitive dissonance! My heart WANTED it but my head was the sensible one this time round.

Ok so what is my plan? Well I will do what I have "boldly" done before and Buy the necessary glass and do LOTS of reading (1st that is) draw on my previous experience and assitance from my cousin (who is in it now too) and begin.

I am just really unsure, at this stage, what I would like. Reef, FO, FOWLR etc etc... LEt's just say I want the biggest impact visually without being a cowboy.

SO basically some fish - 5-10, crab or 2, shrimp or 2, maybe 1 or 2 other low maintenance invertebrates, maybe some corals etc... Now with that said nothing is decided yet! So maybe just a few fish and corals - but again, I don't know if i want a reef or other...

I don't really want to go bigger than 900->1000mm and perhaps 500(w)x500(h)... really have NO idea in what direction I want to go BUT keep in mind It is for 2 little girls to marvel at and isn't meant to be a tank in which i want to "test my skills"... Then maybe later add 1 or 2 anemone and a couple of clowns... this is also why i don't want to over crowd initially.

Basically I, like others, work my ass off, have little time to do constant LONG periods of maintenance, would like to keep costs to a minimum BUT THAT DOESN'T mean skimp on equipment i.e. skimmers etc what it means is big enough to enjoy but small enough that I can still persue my photography hobby and send the kids to school, keep all the cars roadworthy and eat more than bread and jam at night :lol:

I hope i have painted a picture that is easy to understand as I am sure I am not the only one that want a great tank with least amount invested in headache pills.

I am VERY technical if necessary and could probably, with the exception of drilling and cutting glass, do most of the work myself to minimise setup though I would love to throw my little piece of plastic across the table and kill R15-R20k...

A direction pointer to a modern design OR i have seen some designs on here - what software/CAD is used primarily?

OK - that's basically me. So any suggestions wrt direction is welcome :)

Last edited: 17 Apr 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey man, welcome to the forum. Best is to buy 2nf hand stuff from the for sale section. You will save a lot as you can probably buy a tank cheaper than the glass alone..

You will find lots of tanks and hardware. I got my tank from there and saved quite a lot

SeanH likes this.
  4. SeanH

SeanH Thread Starter

Thanks a mil Tremayn! Much appreciated. I will look around in there :)

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome.

Google Sketchup
    Great tool and free.

Anyway, there are loads of information here on MASA. Just check out the subforums, members systems, etc... A lot of DIY everywhere, if you are so inclined. and very important, read before you take your wallet out.

6. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Welcome Welcome, sure you will make a great success!
    Have a look at a few tanks, you border on 1m, why not go for 1.5m, probably the best size for keeping all the great ocean creatures!

7. SeanH

SeanH Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the great welcome guys!

AHHH Thanks Riaan! YEah trust me I will "shop around" first and see what i can pickup at reasonable prices or build myself
    @LCornelius - I would definately and there is a 5ft for sale not far from me but I need to put this under a staircase so space is at a premium. SO I don't want to go over 1000mm and also for the sake of maintenance and water changes.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

canon or nikon ?

masahello

9. crispin

crispin

lets hope its redline canon and he knows how to ue it!

welcome to masa seanH nice to have u here

10. SeanH

SeanH Thread Starter

Hey Crispin

MANY thanks :) I will respond in the next post ;)

11. SeanH

SeanH Thread Starter

Thanks Singularity :)

[FONT=&quot]OK I think we all know what ensues after a question like that… :p

so the answer is YES it is a Canon. However, what I now have is the 600D body BUT got this as a “spare” as I am anticipating the 7D MkII release which will be my new "main". HOPE rumours are correct and it is September – latest. Then simple 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm, 55-250mm (Kit lenses) BUT because I like wildlife photography I have a SIGMA 50-500 and a Canon 800mm f5.6L[/FONT]

Glad i found this site :thumbup:

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Nice. Now I know where I can borrow a 800mm. Welcome to the forum. And now that we know you have a decent camera, you will be forced to make many picture updates.

And taking photos of moving fish is a great exercise for wildlife photography.

13. SeanH

SeanH Thread Starter

HAHAHA *phew* I am glad i didn't say Nik..... :p

So with that said, yes, as soon as I get the act together no issues with photos :) and great thing about marine is the lighting is SO effective that NO flash and highspeed shutter and you should get some AWESIOME pics of the fish!

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Dont be fooled. Even with our many lights you will still have to push the ISO up to get a decent shutter speed. Even at F2.8 you will play around the 800-1600 mark. I sometimes go to 3200.

But on the 600 that is not really an issue since you dont have to do that much cropping.

15. SeanH

SeanH Thread Starter

OK now another daft NEWBIE question - is there a thread with Acronyms? I know a lot most but then there are more threads with acronyms i don't know that those i do LOL - darn i feel like an idiot!

16. crispin

crispin

i'll have to be quick to beat belinda to this one :)

Acronyms, abbreviations - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

800mm f5.6l, if i move my tank to the window will you try for a decent FTS for me? man thats a nice lense, one day when i am big etc etc.....

17. SeanH

SeanH Thread Starter

Yeah for sure! I always leave ISO on Auto because I am mostly on Full Manual or Tv or Av as required. Usually FM or Tv when using the Zooms or 800mm. I shoot in RAW and then use Lightroom 4 to process and remove any noise due to high ISOs.

With that said though would love to get some shooting on a nice established aquarium!

18. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. SeanH

SeanH Thread Starter

LOL crispin - first thanks for the link, second - yeah shout when you have moved it and I will dial your llocation into the GPS tripod ;)

OK just mounted for effect. Can't wait for my Gimbal to arrive...

[​IMG]

20. crispin

crispin

oh google earth will get you here, just plug in lillehammer and see where you end up :)

21. crispin

crispin

see some thoughts in blue above :)

Recent Posts