Eggcrate - should I go barebottom?

Reaction score
Well I asked my dad for some egg crate to make a small filter floss holder for my rear chambers. He brought back a whole sheet! lol

Anyway, i'm wondering if I should put it all to use? Was thinking of going barebottom and putting eggcrate under my live rock.

What do those in the know recommend? Will it improve the water quality in my nano?

Was thinking possibly eggcrate and maybe a little bit of aragonite...

Else i'll just keep this eggcrate to make some liverock stands for my bigger tank (when that happens...)

barebottom theres nothing rong with im bare and its up to u thers alot of people bare base.

Not saying there is anything wrong with it,you could even have no LR in your tank.

I have a tank for it's natural look, I reckon barebottom looks very unnatural.

Yip just like eating green leaves and drinking only Chai tea for a year Bare bottom does have its benefits, but it just doesnt appeal to me, sorry.

See I do love the look of substrate, but I had diatoms, then some cyano. So I bought powerheads to improve the flow and now the cyano has completely gone, yet there's still some diatoms! If the substrate was nice and white it'd be fine but dirty looking doesn't appeal to me!

Tank is about 3 months old now, I run phosphate remover, purigen and activated charcoal. Feed lightly twice a day. Tested phoshates and they seem fine.

I have no idea how to sort out these bloody diatoms.

--End of venting

See I do love the look of substrate, but I had diatoms, then some cyano. So I bought powerheads to improve the flow and now the cyano has completely gone, yet there's still some diatoms! If the substrate was nice and white it'd be fine but dirty looking doesn't appeal to me!

Tank is about 3 months old now, I run phosphate remover, purigen and activated charcoal. Feed lightly twice a day. Tested phoshates and they seem fine.

--End of venting

Get a Sailfin Blenny, sort out that algae one time

I have found that with bare bottom i have a diatom film on the glass every day.No sweat just clean
And with a sand bed regular cyano . Also ; no sweat. Just clean

Personal preference though....visible egcrate in a nano would be uuuuuuuuugggly

diatoms due to silica in water apparently,what are your water perameters, what supplements are you doing. ps if fish were meant to have bare bottom tanks the sea would have had a bare bottom imo. up your skim rate.

yip, i'm with war bare bottom looks kaka!

get a sand shifting gobe to keep the upper layer clean and then your problem is fixed

Be careful with sandshifting gobies, they can bring many problems of their own, some nasserius vibex snails are a much more gentle option.

haha, not that bad, i find it very good sometimes, because they bring the detritus into the water colum

Back
Top Bottom