Effective Ich Combat?

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Twin seen, 3 Mar 2014.

1. Twin seen

Twin seen

hi. i thought i'd share details of my battle against ich and how I overcame it after many months of trying different methods. i haven't been in the game that long (about 18 months) so when my fish in my DT showed signs of ich i went into full panic mode. i did tons of research i.e. hypo versus copper versus DT treatments (supposed to be reef and fish friendly). i bought a hospital tank etc etc. At the end I decided Cupramine was the way to go so i prepared the HT and moved all the fish (after tearing my DT up trying to catch the buggers) into it and got going with the Cupramine. After a few days into the treatment I noticed my fish were really looking poor. Whilst the spots were retreating the fish looked really ill and in fact in the days that followed I lost several fish including the some hardy ones. i decided to stop the Cupramine (half way through) and put the surviving fish back into the DT. So back at square one! back to google i went looking for a miracle cure. i then stumbled across a post where the guy said he 100% believed in soaking fish food in Garlic and Ginger juice (blend fresh garlic and ginger to a pulp and use the juice) and feeding that to his sick fish. With nothing to lose i soaked my pellets in the concoction and began treatment. Lo and behold in a few days the fish became far more energetic and the ich dispappeared in a week. That was 3 months ago. i continue using the mixture to this day. my fish have never looked better and no signs of the parasites whatsoever. this worked for me and for those that feel at a loss with this disease and can only recommend you try this first. it is by far the cheapest method and who knows you maybe you have the same results. i must also add however that my water quality has been superb during this period so i also believe the two go hand in hand to strengthen the fish immune system and fight off diseases.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chris Delport

Chris Delport

Thanks for the info, how would you go about using this mixture when frozen foods are used?

Please give more info on the kind of garlic and ginger,ratios and so on, thank you.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

For me, the only really effective method to combat whitespot is to use the bucket method. It is very difficult to combat whitespot within your tank environment. so why not remove the tank environment before the cysts can hatch. No more cysts, no whitespot.

But yes, it is a lot of work and a big schlep. Especially if you do it for one little damsel. But then again, one sick fish can wipe out all your other fish you had for some time.

5. Twin seen

Twin seen Thread Starter

@ Chris. i've heard of guys defrosting the frozen food in the mixture. i do add some RO to the pulp to liquify it which makes it easily absorbed by the food. to be honest i go on gut as far as quantities are concerned. about 2 medium sized cloves of garlic, 2 or 3 shavings of ginger (flesh not the skin), add some RO and chuck in the blender. keep going until it liquifies then mix in the food (about 3 tablespoons of pellets). i leave that in a coffee mug -reserved for fish tank use only :) in my fridge and the mix lasts me 2 weeks. just a note that you must use fresh produce (no powders or flakes or canned stuff etc.). normal everyday garlic and ginger. i know there might be guys out there shaking their heads at this but i can only vouch for my experience. the fish readily eat it and as i've said they look fantastic.

6. Twin seen

Twin seen Thread Starter

@ Riaan - I agree but there are so many opportunities for ich to infect your tank. my approach is to rather "supercharge" their immune system so they can fight off infections before they even start. i'm sure there are other guys that swear by different methods and kudos to them. i found that copper did more damage than the disease! i wanted a cheap and less obtrusive way of treating my fish and this method worked for me.

7. Chris Delport

Chris Delport

Thank you @Twin seen, so the processed garlic & ginger tubs at Fruit & Veg is not what you used.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Twin seen

Twin seen Thread Starter

nope. buy the garlic cloves (in the white skin/peel) and buy a stick of ginger. all natural. i don't know what they put in the other processed/preserved stuff which could put your fish at risk.

Recent Posts