Eek, I have Ich

Reaction score
So my new additions have Ich (Flame Angel and Royal Gramma)
I plan on doing the Tank Transfer method ( getting 2 small tank combos this afternoon)

Just need some clarity on the method please:
The tanks will be run at hypo salinity
Transfer fish to next tank with 50% of previous tank water every 2nd day.
Clean everything in previous tank and repeat.

Will I need to add any "medicine" of any sort?
Do I need to take my clowns, the only other fish in the tank (which don't have any ich that I can see as yet) out the main tank and into "hospital" too?
Should I be worried of the tanks not being cycled?

Best way to do transfer method is to transfer once a day for 7 or 8 days. 2 separate tanks with separate heaters and air stones in each. 100% new water of the same temp. Because you are doing transfer every day there is no need for cycling as the ammonia will not rise that quickly. Also no need to do hypo salinity as well. If you want to be extra wary for ammonia spikes, you can add a bit of stability into the new water.

Dont transfer anything from the one tank to the next apart from the fish. Clean out the tank/heater/airstone and let it dry out completely for the next transfer. If you move anything over apart from the fish, you risk transferring some spot as well.

Hi @Jones I didn't ever stress much about ich which I got as I was getting quite a few fish every once in a while but I run a uv on the tank also fed a good mixed diet because I believe in stability and the parasites actually don't want it's food source to die.

I do like the method you describing it's the first time I hear about it to be honest lol but as mentioned above maybe you can look at aclimating fish to new water that way no parasites are introduced copper also kills it bit I've personally only ever done hyposalinity. Cheers

The royal gramma may be susceptible to certain copper medications and so CP is preferred.

I plan on doing the Tank Transfer method ( getting 2 small tank combos this afternoon)

Not necessary. In fact tanks for ttm are not suitable. See my ttm setup pic.

The tanks will be run at hypo salinity

Bad bad idea...

Transfer fish to next tank with 50% of previous tank water every 2nd day.

2nd day yes. 50% no. 100% new preconditioned water.

Clean everything in previous tank and repeat.

How? All "things" must be sterilized left to dry completely in direct sun.

Will I need to add any "medicine" of any sort?

Prophylactic treatment is possible. Copper or CP. See note above by the fish.

Do I need to take my clowns, the only other fish in the tank (which don't have any ich that I can see as yet) out the main tank and into "hospital" too?

Yes... Infact since they were sick in That tank, then that tank is now infected and must run "fallow" for 3 month's or completeley restarted after draining and sterilizing everything. All inverts rocks etc must go into QT without fish.

Not if doing it correctly, ie 100% water change.

IMG_20180603_134533.jpg

Last edited:

The royal gramma may be susceptible to certain copper medications and so CP is preferred.

Yes... Infact since they were sick in That tank, then that tank is now infected and must run "fallow" for 3 month's or completeley restarted after draining and sterilizing everything. All inverts rocks etc must go into QT without fish.

IMG_20180603_134533.jpg

Thanks Dolphin.
So would I need another QT tank for rocks, CUC and coral if the tank runs fallow or only if I drain and sterilize?

Thanks Dolphin.
So would I need another QT tank for rocks, CUC and coral if the tank runs fallow or only if I drain and sterilize?

Yes. Rocks can go into a plastic storage container, with a heater power head and light (light to encourage growth of any desirous Algae types, etc.). Perhaps use one of those tanks you're getting today for the cuc and corals, if big enough to comfortably house them.

Nb. The ttm needs to be for 14 days. Fish can come out on day 15 and then into the other QT tank while you get the display tank ready again.

Nbb.make sure you feed the fish well while in ttm. Garlic and vitamin enriched foods are important.

Yes. Rocks can go into a plastic storage container, with a heater power head and light (light to encourage growth of any desirous Algae types, etc.). Perhaps use one of those tanks you're getting today for the cuc and corals, if big enough to comfortably house them.

Nb. The ttm needs to be for 14 days. Fish can come out on day 15 and then into the other QT tank while you get the display tank ready again.

Nbb.make sure you feed the fish well while in ttm. Garlic and vitamin enriched foods are important.

Could I put the coral and cuc into my frag tank which only has 1 fish in? or will that risk my frag tank becoming infected?

Will have a look if I can get CP
If I drain and sterilize the display tank does that include cleaning substrate and matrix and then re-cycling?

This all sounds very complex to my fresh water ich battles so want to do it right without wasting cash and time.
I appreciate all your answers to my many questions guys.

Could I put the coral and cuc into my frag tank which only has 1 fish in? or will that risk my frag tank becoming infected?

There's a risk that the infection will spread to that tank. So rather not.

If I drain and sterilize the display tank does that include cleaning substrate and matrix and then re-cycling?

Yes, everything. Start from scratch.

This all sounds very complex to my fresh water ich battles so want to do it right without wasting cash and time.

Key to success with marines, is quarantine.

Thanks everyone.
Going to get some cheap salt too for all these water changes.
Going to weigh up cost of the combo tanks vs plastic buckets, pumps, heater etc bought seperately
I might still have another tank in storage I can use for the cuc and coral.
Might need to get a HOB filter while I get the Display tank sorted.
Lets get ready to rumble:swim:

Agree with @mariusmeyer 100% clean water and no need for Hypo Salinity.
help me out....does this mean you just make a batch of premix salt water. everyday just move the fish from one container to next? no need for anything else like bacteria etc....just clean salt water?
If you move the fish to next container...do you need to drip them or you just catch and release....lol

Yes, you move them from one container to the other, dont need any bacteria as ammonia never has a chance to rise, unless you feed like a mad man :D. You dont need to drip the fish, but the salinity and temp should match.

Thanks Dolphin.

Parasites don't survive without a fish host so no need to remove rock and coral.

I do use 50% of the old bucket water. Siphoned out at the top layers. Whitespot when they drop off a fish, goes to the bottom. Sticking to the substrate or whatever they can find. Top part should be OK, and if you do siphon one out that just now dropped off, it anyway will go to the bottom and stay there for 3 days minimum. Plus I use a 5 micron filter in line and grown whitespot is 200 to 250 micron in size.

Ammonia would be my only real big issue. But I feed very very light on the days the fish stays in the current bucket. Moving days they get fed enough at least half an hour before the big move.

I prefer never to take the fish completely out the water. Plus No Nets. Angels gills almost always get stuck and fish like foxfaces fins will get stuck in the net. A net for me is the final desperate attempt to catch the fish.

Ok. Transferred fish into treatment tank last night. flame angel didn't make it. Just got home to find it dead. Gramma doesn't look to bright. In the corner and breathing heavy. The clowns seems ok, swimming around but their mouths are constantly opening and closing. What should I do??? Please help

Back
Top Bottom