Eeek! I think I have a Mantis!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Kunhardt, 7 Aug 2009.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

As the title suggests I think I see a Mantis shrimp in my tank. I have noticed these little feelers sticking out of the rocks at night every now ans then over a few months, but could never place their source, thought maybe it was even a worm of some kind...however this afternoon while looking at my tank I noticed those feelers and a pair of what looks like bobbly eyes attached to them, and what looked like a pair of lumo blue legs. Tried to take a pic, but its just too small and I dont have a good enough camera for zooming to that rate.

How do I know for sure? How do I entice it to come out? If it is a Mantis how on earth am I going to get rid of it? Its got its hidey hole in the biggest piece of base rock in my tank and removing that rock would mean taking the whole tank apart.

Seems like one delema after the other lately!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Marlin Fischer

Marlin Fischer Mutantfish

..... best bet is a perspex crab trap with some enticing prawn or fresh food in it to lure the mantis.

Worked for me... only problem is if other critters u dont want to remove from your tank get into the trap before your mantis can, ultimately eating the food and getting in your way.

Cant u remove the rock just to shoot him out with water from a suringe or something ?

4. Boendoe

Boendoe

Good Luck they are probably one of the most intelligencet creatures in the ocean, the best way is too take the rock out and leave it in a bucket or container work a wile and her will come out on his own. Mine was also in the biggest rock in the tank.

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

The problem I have is that the rock he is in is holding up my whole rock formation, I cant remove that rock without taking the whole tank apart, and my tank is still recovering from the last time I rescaped...may be the that the trap is the best method at this point.

He has formed a little nest quite forward in the rockwork, maybe i can get him out somehow without removing it or trying to play "trap the mantis".

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Well can confirm it is a Mantis, it came out completely last night for like a split second...man those things are fast! on't know how i am going to catch him. He's not even a nice coloured one either, just a dull black with blue tint to his legs.

7. Jaak

Jaak

Eish Kunhadt! Have you lost any ls lately? I think your best bet at this point would be to trap him.

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Lost any Is? lol I am confused? Ya I think thats the best bet, but its how to trap him thats the problem :)

9. Jaak

Jaak

Sorry, lost any live stock? I've got no idea on how to trap them. I need to find out as I think i've got one too...:(

10. Falcon

Falcon

brine shrimp placed in a bottle with hole big enough for him to fit into.....top faced upwards...

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@Kunhardt what do you plan for the mantis once you have caught it? They make awesome pets you know.

12. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Nope haven't lost any livestock, what would he take out? Anything and everything?

He is very small :whistling:

13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

What kind of brine shrimp Falcon? Frozen? Wont it pollute the water? Probably the best idae though so far. Will look into that.

I believe so I have seen Warr's mantis nano threat. But I am not sure what will happen to him yet...sump or fellow reefer or dare i say it the electric chair :p

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Suggestion!! Leave him in your tank and now that you know where it lives feed it so that it grows. He/she will become very tame and start to come out to feed a morsels you offer. When it gets to about 30mm take it out and find alternate accommodation.

It is my guess by that time you will have become so attached to the critter that a budget for a new home will have been set aside.:biggrin:

15. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

The thought did cross my mind, in that if I couldnt get him out I would leave him and feed him so he isn't hungry and thus doesnt go after my other inmates. The flip side of that is though, that he will in fact grow and may then get big enough to actually start taking down other critters. Hmmm... I will see what happens.

16. Zuv

Zuv Zuv & Brend's

missioned to get rid of my first mantis, had to take the rock out poured hot water into his hole and he died rather quickly but felt extremely bad afterwards. he was abou 25mm long. about 4 weeks later we spotted critter no2 in a much bigger rock, said to the wife that there was no way i was gonna get rid of this one just yet as people make then out to be so hectic but i think when they are small they cant do much harm! we then started feeding our green chromis's frozen brine shrimp cause they would'nt eat pellets, true's bob the little critter started coming out of his hole as the food passed but at a hell of a pace!! one morning when the wife was feeding the fish he came out and dicided to explore the tank and crawled around for about 30min until he found a new hole. spent about two days there then disappeared. today when i removed the filter foam from the trikkle filter i noticed something jump before i realised the critter landed in my filter so now he is in the live rock in the filter. dont know if he will survive cause no food gets into the trikkle filter due to the sponge but gonna change that for chaeto soon.

thats my mantis tale.

17. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Little mantis like this get a bum rap. Don't worry about them too much they can't and won't do much damage. Only when they get bigger are they a possible prob.

18. Manic

Manic Moderator

I love mantis shrimps, I think they are one of the most beautiful shrimps you get...

19. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Well I guess I'll leave the little guy and see what becomes of him. :)

20. Esmond

Esmond

thats what i am doing with mine(leave & see what happens),i tried catching him with a bottle trap to no avail.I also have the same scenario as you that the mantis got a nest in a live rock right at the bottom of the tank i dont see myself taking out all the rock for now

21. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Well good luck to both of us Esmond...may the Mantis not kill our livestock :thumbup:

Recent Posts