Eco Wheel

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Dohn, 21 Mar 2008.

1. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

Hi All
    Has anyone ever come across the eco wheel. Was wondering if its worth tring to DIY something similar.
    System Pictures

Its a type of Algael turf scrubber that runs on an air pump. Suppose it could be used without algae to oxygenate the water and for water movement during power failures.

Its actually for filteration.
    Check out some of the tanks that use it.
    The Fish Registry

Im a newbie thats still researching all the ins and outs.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hello Dohn! Welcome to MASA! I hope that you enjoy your stay, and enjoy our company! No - I cannot say that I have heard of it before. Perhaps another one of our fellow reefers have indeed heard of it!

WOW! You from Kuwait? Tell us some more on your ideas of keeping reefs, as well as what your plans are?

Many thanks!

4. Dohn

Dohn Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Hello JacquesB!
    Yeah im an expat in exile. Been working in kuwait now for two years, going onto the 3rd.

I bought a setup from a fellow south african about a year ago and had no idea what marine was all about, i always kept freshwater fish because i thought marine was too complicated. But the south african talked me into it and told me it was easy.
    I got a 50 gallon tank with cannister filter, a 90 liter hospital tank with a cannister filter.
    Metal halide enclosure sporting two 150w lights + two T8 30w blue florecent lights.
    I thought the live rock was curing nicely because it was all turning red. LOL want a recipe for growing cyano. PM me.
    I want to build a cabinet which encloses all the tanks and gear, was doing research and came across this site. Been reading it for about a week and have discovered that it really is complicated to keep marine tanks. So i will be doing a bit of planning before building the cabinet.

5. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Mar 2008
  6. Dohn

Ill have to try and incorporate a deep sand bed into the new cabinet then. This is the Monaco Style aquarium system right. With or without a plenum?

Im thinking of incorporating different styles into one.

Because i dont want to drill my tank i'll build an overflow box which is the length of my aquarium. Maybe as high as well and about 15cm wide, with a DSB containing cualepra . Water will Syphon in from one side and flow to the other side where it will enter an overflow down to the sump area.

The water will run through some of that cotton stuff and enter another DSB, wider and shorter containing live rock and critters. The DSB will be divided so instead of an up and under effect it will be a left and right effect. (Water flowing through a passage maybe 15cm wide for the length of the DSB x 3) before entering the pumping area.

Once the water is in the pump area it will be pumped into another sump area above the main tank. I'll try and make the pipe that connects the bottom sump to the top sump area a skimmer, will give about 2m of bubble time with the water.

When the water enters the top sump area, some of the water will be diverted into plankton growth areas and the rest will collect in a surge bucket, when the water reaches a certain height it will automatically syphon back into the main tank causing a surge current in the main tank. (Bell and siphon) Will have to go through a u bend or something so that it doesnt make too much noise.

The plankton growth areas will all have overflow pipes back into the main tank.
    The surge bucket will also contain critters like snails and barnicles etc, stuff you find in wave pools.

7. seank

seank

Please make sure that if electricity goes off, that the syphoning that'll start will have enough place to go back to... Flooding is not nice....

8. Dohn

The only place where water will back track is between the two sump areas. The skimmer, but even then i'll only loose half the water in the skimmer. all the syphon inlets will be protected or triggered by overflow pipes. I'll see if i cant make a rough sketch.

9. Dohn

[​IMG]Its very rough.

10. sunburst

sunburst

Welcome Dohn

Your plan is ambitious and makes a lot of sense....but do you have the space...my experience with siphon overflows is dubious...a single elevated refugium will do the job and rely on gravity for flow back to the display.
    What skimmer do you plan on using as indicated in your diagram?

11. Dohn

Im going to try my hand at a DIY Skimmer. Will check the internet out for the general idea of how or why they work the way they work.

12. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

13. Dohn

Thanks, it looks simple enough. Though im sure its not that simple. Will continue to research a bit more before i go and buy some acrylic tubing.

Recent Posts