Easy to clean Algae scrubber

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by RiaanP, 14 Dec 2009.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm going to rebuild my algae scrubber. Current design does work and I got descend algae growth on it.

But

I need something that is easy to clean. Something that my Non-Reefer can do. Simple, easy to get screen out, no switch this off, close that valve, simplicity is what I want.

It looks like for business that I will be away for 2 weeks periods quite often next year. And I need to simplify everything. One week water change I can skip, But the scrubber tends to overgrow and then water spray away from the screen, possible being able to hit the lights when left for more than 7 days.

One flaw in my current design is that the sreen is sideways (left to right) positioned over the sump. Then to remove the screen I got one metal clip, remove the front light then the scrubber screen.

Who got a better EASY method.

[​IMG]
    My current design, This is an old photo, I have a light in the front and the back. Top black pipe just pull out on both sides.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Nobody with an easy to operate solution?:(

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

you need to make the screen removable. ideally you want to be able to pull it out from the frame work and sill have the water running, that way no valves.

how much space do you have to work with?

5. RiaanP

I'm totally open for options.
    Only requirement is that the screen must pull out forward, towards you. Also I prefer to have two screens with lights CFL's in the middle. Instead of two rows of lights with screen in the middle.

Space limitations

Above my sump, then I'm limited to about 400mm high.

Next to display (like Adee's setup) two options, one also max height of 400mm and other max height 1100mm. (Prever the 400mm, so that I can use space above for electricals.

Depth can be upto 700mm deep (front to back). If next to display the width is limited to 300mm (left to right). Above sump, width is not a problem.

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

you want the 2 screens with the light in the middel to maximise the light usage?

7. RiaanP

Yes Butcherman,

Else you need to put reflectors and run double the number of lights.

8. JD167

JD167

What about using a piece of PVC pipe with similar media to what you are using now as the screen, one side you put a PVC stopper to close off the pipe and on the other side you put a ballvalve? The ballvalve can be closed, unscrewed relatively easy and the screen removed. See below.

[​IMG]

9. JD167

JD167

Or make two of these split with a T-Piece if you want to use two scrubbers and one light.

10. Pugsly

Pugsly

hmmmm - to avoid the valve as butcherman said you still need to keep water running when the screen is removed - what you can maybe look at is have the "main" frame that houses the water spray bar with frame. then somehow have a clip on and off frame with the cloth screen on. maybe even do it so that one is double sided so you remove the one to clean both sides and the water remains flowing.

11. RiaanP

Yes, I though about this, but,
    the ball valvle will then be at the back, unless you got some fancy pipework, Reaching 600mm deep inside the sump will not go down with the Non Reefer.

The other problem with this is that if screen is half blocked, then water will remain inside draining slowly after you closed the ballvalve. Now imagine Non Reefer with wet feet. Not Happy

12. JD167

JD167

Depending on space, you could even put his inside a big plastic container with a lid and a small pump to get the water back to the sump. Not ideal but easier to work with.

13. SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Recent Posts