Easy tank setup for kid!

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Petzcafe, 13 Dec 2010.

1. Petzcafe

Petzcafe

Hi All

I would like to get an easy tank set up for my kid.
    What tank and fish can you recommend and where in Cape Town is the best place to go?

Thanks
    D.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Evo R

Evo R

Hi and :welcometomasa2:

The best would be a "plug n play" system something like a TL550 or so.
    But then again thats a nano and they are harder too keep.
    I would suggest reading as much info on MASA as you can and ask as many Q's as you want because the only dumb question is the one that was never asked!Look at the links on the admin's signatures.VERY usefull info.And look through the sponsers forums and give them a visit.

Here you will meet lots of really great okes that will be more than willing to help you
    and give you some good advise.

And if i can give you some really good advise......talk to the members on this forum BEFORE you buy something that you dont know!!Remember we are not here to make money out of you....but the back yard petshop wanebe is!Rather ask twice and only pay once.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2010
  4. Annoying

Annoying

Let me guys he wants a nemo:tt2:

Hey and welcome to MASA!:thumbup:

The best I would say is the plug and play version like previously stated. It all depends on the livestock you want to keep. If it's only going to be 2 or 3 fish then the normal plug and play would work. The stock lighting at the back an work for zoa's and mushrooms and with a few modifications at the sump department you will have a awesome little system. Please make sure you do as much as possible reading about the hobby and try to ask as many as possible questions. Good luck

5. Petzcafe

Petzcafe Thread Starter

Not to sure

guess i have some reading to do. not to sure what the difference between marine and tropical is?

i have posted the same question in the tropical forum and have had some great response.

what would a plug and play consist off?

6. Annoying

Annoying

Marine is a lot more finicky over water quality and other variables, but it's also 10 times the joy of keeping tropical. The plug and play would consist of the tank, an area where it exits the tank for filtering(aka sump), in the sump there should be a skimmer big enough rating for the tank and then a filtering type of your choice but it has to be biological(biological filtration is where microbes help with the deport of nutrients, ex: Live rock, DSB(deep sand bed, read it up:lol:), or macro algae. then there should be a return pump. You will most likely get a small pump in the tank as well for water movement. I must say marines are very harder to keep then tropical but so much more rewarding , but seeing that you just want a pet aquarium for your kid I would almost rather that you get a tropical tank, just that's it's easier and very less time consuming seeing that the kid most likely would have to care for the tank, but I have to warn that once the bug has bitten you there is no going back:lol:. Good luck, feel free to ask as many questions as what you want to.

7. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

what is your budget? You can do a small fresh water tropical tank for less than R1000, for a marine tank you would look at R5000 and more. Now people will say that there is cheaper ways, and if you like the look of diy stuff then there is.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Petzcafe

Petzcafe Thread Starter

Phew

Wow, R5k that is fairly steep for a first step. Was looking at R2k.
    As explained on the tropical forum, looking for something for my kid and i to do together and getting him to care for a creature i feel would be beneficial to his development. If he enjoyed it i would get him something bigger. marine fish and environment are amazing, more colorful and vivid than tropical.

9. Petzcafe

Petzcafe Thread Starter

hrmm??

the more i read, the clearer it becomes that i should go the tropical route first and attempt the marine when im comfortable with the tropics! :eek:

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@Petzcafe Marine creatures require a lot of attention. So.... Dad has to play a big part in ensuring the well being of the creatures you intend to keep. On average about 4 hours a week, after your tank is stable and running OK. Also the decision you make now is one for many years. Passing phases and fashionable trends have to be realistically considered. Marine tanks require many hours of attention and passion.

That was some of the negative. :)

Cool :thumbup::thumbup: Now how old is your son and what is your budget? Who will be looking after the tank? What do you expect or can afford for monthly upkeep of the tank?

Oh... a marine tank takes a minimum of about 6 to 8 weeks before one can successfully start keeping marines. So whilst a XMAS gift of a tank and fish might sound brill, it is a No No.

Please do not be discouraged by what i say. If you have the will, passion, time and dedication for the creatures you would like to keep you have come to the rite place.

Consider, firstly the live stock and the amount of time you are prepared to dedicate to the creatures. Research, Research and read read read.

Cool now lets get you started.

11. magman

magman

Hi and welcome,

Please don't do that (go the bath route way, or give up on marines),

Lets start off small at first. All you want, is the basics to keep nemo and his pal, don't worry about corals and that for now, slowly (birthdays) buy a skimmer, then lights etc and slowly upgrade the tank as we go.

For now, I would get the tank, stand, some liverock, some salt, RO water (purified water to mix with the salt) and a pump or two. Bang that together, and say 6 weeks later, get the water tested, and add a clown. You don't have to have a skimmer if you can do the water changes weekly, and you would have to moniter the water.

Don't give up. Maybe try and look at one or two reefers tanks in your area.

12. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Here are some great links to check out & will help you alot & but remember google is your friend.

You'll find some great info here
    How to Set Up a Saltwater Aquarium - How to SetUp a Salt water Fish Aquarium

some visual help (video's)
    How to Set Up a Saltwater Aquarium - MonkeySee

One of the best help on DIY & great reefing info
    Successfully set up a Saltwater Aquarium

Well I can't do all your homework just wanted to help get you started. Good Luck:thumbup:.
    Oh yes you were looking for LFS (local fish shop) You can try Perky Pets in Diepriver You can speak to David Webster. You can also try Oceanson in Parklands by Builders Warehouse, Panorama Pet's in Parow or Sam's aquarium in Bergvliet but be careful they'll try to sell you everything needed all at once but for tanks the cheapest around & equipment they are reasonable with prices they also give some good advice. Don't go & buy everything all at once, build it up slowly & research on everything before you spend unnecessary cash. Good Luck dude:thumbup:

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

first, how old is your kid?

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey buddy. U can start with marines but you will have to care for the system and you dont have to pay thousands! Go with the Fish with live rock route and you will be saving lots of money and it is easier. Its basically what you are looking for. Check out Kensleyk's build
    New Jebo R338 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    you can pick up these tanks 2nd hand really cheap and you can use play sand as substrate to save money. :) .. PM him and ask him about his build. Good luck mate

15. Evo R

Evo R

Also you must take into account the montly expenses.

Bath water = +- R50-R100 (Electricity for a light or two and a pump and some food.)

Marines = +- R100 - R1000

. First is depending where you live? eg: some of the members stay inland so they have to "make" there own seawater with reef salt(R700+ for a 20kg bucket.) + RO water(+- 80c per liter). Where as im lucky i stay at the beach so i can collect as much as i need.

. Then there is the electricity side of things.With bath water you have on ave. one maybe two pumps running.Marines you have on ave. 5-6 pumps running then there are the lights.Bath water you have say two 10w lights = 20w. marines(ave 4ft tank's lighting) 6-8 54w T5 lights.Some setups requier addisional lighting in the form of MH. Then its say...6x 54w T5 plus 2x 150w MH = 516w

Can you see where this is adding up?

Then again you can ask anyone on this forum....If they should do the exact same setup again it would cost them half of what its costed them allready because off bad/impulsive buys.

16. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Firstly how old is your child?
    I dont think getting a so-called plug and play nano/pico is a good idea for a kids first tank. Smaller may be cheaper but its definately not easier. Smaller water volumes are more prone to fluctuations and need constant monitoring to keep the system in check.
    For a tank that a child must look after, i would suggest over doing it on the filtration system, to allow for a bit of leeway when it comes to mantainance etc.

Depending on how much time dad is going to put into this project, age of chld and budget...i actually think a small tropical tank is the way to go. It will be alot easier to set up and keep alive and will give the kid a good grounding in the basics of fishkeeping. Rather start slowly with a tropical, let the aquarium bug bite and in no time your kid will be asking for marine.

17. Tremayn

Tremayn

if this is the 1st time you are going to keep a fish tank I say start with a little Fresh water tank with some guppies... While thats going on you must spend a couple of months reading up here :) .. Trust me its worth it!

18. Petzcafe

Petzcafe Thread Starter

Wow..thanks for all the feedback!

My kid is nearly 2, so the tank would be my baby and i don't mind the time to look after it.

I want him to work with me over the next couple years to show him what looking after another creature is about. My view is the more kids are around animals, fish and wildlife the better children-adults they become.

I have some reading to do, but my initial gut feeling (with some good advice from all) is to go the tropical route first and do the homework on a marine system. The cost of marine seems to be my biggest concern as the capital outlay and operating costs seem to be significantly higher.

19. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Your kids still tiny! I think being so young a tropical tank would be good enough for him. Maybe do the father/son marine tank project when hes a bit older and will be able to appreciate it a bit more.

20. Petzcafe

Petzcafe Thread Starter

That was the tank i was thinking about, but this is a tropical tank, that he has modded.
    Marine tanks just look so much better!

21. Petzcafe

Petzcafe Thread Starter

He is very young, but it was also for me if im 100% honest! ;)

Recent Posts