East London fish collecting.

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Broder, 14 Feb 2012.

1. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Hi EL guys and gals. The PE bunch of puddlehoppers have showed us up a little by organising some great fish collecting outings. It's time that we start doing the same while the season is still upon us. We could organise safe excursions to the Westbank, Cove Rock, Bats Cave etc. We could also do day trips to some of the coastal spots.

All would be welcome, even if you've never caught a fish in your life before. Who's keen???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. magman

magman

Hi guys, I would really recommend you guys take up broders offer, I believe they do go out collecting and catch lots of sergeant majors, blacktails etc, so I would encourage any guys trying to learn the art of collecting, to take up Broder's offer,

here is a pick at one of their last collection meets, that's Broder in the front, and I think Slummies about to get in the water....;)......

[​IMG]

4. Broder

Broder Thread Starter Mudshark

Naaah doood.... my braces are a different colour. I know that it can't be you...... Your eyes haven't been that white since you turned 4.

5. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

Having orgainsed weekly collecting trips down in PE for every weekend since December, and knowing the caliber of the slummies collectors - my advice is to nominate someone to bring the
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Feb 2012
  6. Broder

Naah... we travel light in EL.

The sea is super clean and warm in most places at the moment. The tides are in between after work.... Anyone keen to get together today?

7. Broder

For Saturday, I was thinking one of the local rivers for the high tide snorkel at 3pm. Any suggestions? First timers are welcome to come along. It'll be best to be in the company of people that can show you the ropes, and it really isn't physically demanding or dangerous if you use common sense.

By Sunday the easterly wind will probably have set in, but we can still go for a low tide dive/puddle hop at about 8.30 before it comes up too much.

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

mmm nahoon gonubie and yellows will be a bitch to get to.. surfers marathon this weekend....

9. Broder

Forgot about that. Wow.... the lifeguards are gonna have their hands full with non swimmers crossing at HIGH TIDE!!!! Don't think I've ever run a surfers at high tide.

Doesn't matter though, we can still do Blue bend and Gonubie. You in Les?

10. rob189

rob189

sounds interesting...ive never really dived for my fish, just puddle hopped :p

11. leslie hempel

Sadly I can't attend, I have a full day planned alongside swiming my wife across the river at gonubie as.she's doing the surfers

12. Broder

Much more fun. And a much higher hit rate. Get yourself a mask, snorkel and fins. Come and join us, if you enjoy it, and you will, you can buy a wetsuit and weightbelt. I'll post venues and times on Friday.

13. rob189

rob189

now for the embarrasing part....i have all of those:banghead:
    actually 2 masks, 2 snorkels, fins, some hardcore wetsuit that a guy at the iron man gave me, a weightbelt and enough weights for all of africa.....oh and a i also have a speargun :D

14. Firefly

Firefly

Sounds like fun, I might even pitch to have a look.

15. Broder

ok. . Look forward to meeting you:). Oh. . .with all of that equipment, don't forget a net:). Maybe a plastic jar with string attached to the lid so that you can tie it to your weight belt.
    Just in case you catch something that you want to keep.

16. Broder

looking forward to meeting you. Keep your eye on this thread. We'll also plan some puddlehopping expeditions on days where diving isn't great, which is about 60% of the time.

17. Broder

I dived at Mermaids Pool yesterday arvies and the water is insanely warm... 22-23 I guess, so I'm super amped to get into the water. this weekend.

Saturday is going to have to be Gonubie River, as they're having the surfers marathon juniors start from Blue Bend. I'll get to the grassy patch at the top of the ski boat club driveway at 13.15, as I have to work. It would be great to see some of you there.

If you're short of any equipment, post what you think you need in this thread. I'm sure that peeps have spares of stuff lying around. If you have no idea what you need, don't be shy to ask.... you'll LOVE it, once you're in the water.

18. leslie hempel

Gonubie river is exceptionally clean, and extreemly warm... PS: if you find my drop shot/rpalas bait i may offer a beer as a reward :) im going to try dive it tomorrow a little earlier...

19. crispin

crispin

man i wish i could join you guys.

20. Broder

That would be nice.

The thing is, we don't appreciate what we have on our own doorstep most of the time. Only when you look at it from mid winter in Lilliehammer, do you see how lucky we really are.

Recent Posts