Easiest DIY skimmer for nanos

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Dane, 1 Jul 2010.

1. Dane

Dane

hey all,

Saw one of these on nanoreef

[​IMG]

I could DIY one of these in a day! Such a simple build. And feedback on NR seems to suggest they pack a lot of punch.

I have a 70L nano and am adding a nice fuge with DSB, scrubber and cryptic zone, all squeezed into a 60longx30highx15wide fuge. Am thinking of adding one of these too...

how much does a small wooden airstone go for? What do you guys think of this uber simple little skimmer?

Rgrds
    Dane

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. PoPe_G

PoPe_G

Those airstones are cheap. Usually around R20. Haven't seen them for a while though.

Guru's are going to have to go further in detail about the effectiveness of the skimmer....

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

In my opinion it is not worth it. The materials alone will be over R100 and then they are not that effective. Very old principle of skimming. I would rather just add a bag of purigen to the tank. Smaller, easier and will guarantee you it will have a bigger impact on the tank.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Dane - you can get Red Sea Wooden Airstones from Sam's Aquarium, as well as the LFS in Bothasig.

Last time I checked, they cost something like R35 for a pack of 3....

You have to contend with replacing the wooden airstone once every two to three months or so.... because they become clogged up with carbonates....

6. regis

regis

panarama pet shop has those wooden airstones, red sea, do not know the price

7. PoPe_G

PoPe_G

Would it not be better to spend a few hundred and just get a jebo skimmer. I know the general concensus is that they are k^k. But would it not be better than nothing @ all?

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

One can design a decent skimmer running on airstones alone. IF you do this the right way, an airstone driver counter-current skimmer can be extremely effective.

The only real problem with airstone-driven skimmers, compared to venturi air-valve skimmers, is that you have to constantly replace the airstones (once every two to three months, due to limescale, and carbonate build-up inside he airstones, that cloggs up the airstones).

9. FransSny

FransSny

dane I have seen skimmers made from 2L coke bottles...anything is possible and can work but as JB said the issue with airstone driven skimmers is the bit of maintenance involved

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yeah, and don't be a dingleberry like me and DIY a skimmer that's over 1 metre tall that had 4 wooden airstones in the bottom, only to realise a month later that those clogged up blocks that were frikkin all the way down the bottom of the skimmer need replacing, with no way of getting to them because dingleberry here had thoroughly siliconed a reduced neck on top of the chamber to accomodate the cup, so unless I was a snooker cue, there was no way them stones were coming out. Needless to say, a week later I bought a proper skimmer. :p

11. FransSny

FransSny

dingleberry...WTF ??

12. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

my first skimmer was a diy one with a wooden airstone. I did include a small pond pump to increas flow in the skimmer. It worked rather well while i had it.
    Let me know when/if you want to build, i still have the scientific grade acrylic pipe lying around (think its 8cm in diameter and about 1m long) which you are more than welcome to have.

13. burt

burt

if you not going to use, can i buy the acrylic pipe from you? want to build a phos reactor.

14. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

That's what this hobby is about-DIY,experimenting and in the end to gain knowledge of what we wonder about. Personally I have built quite a few skimmers but right now I have this TS2 in my 120 l system and it works well. And if I have to go skimmer DIY again with the wife saying she would like to live in a normal house where lots of tools, equipment and experimenting is not done on a daily basis it suits me very avewell. Personally I would go the Viper way, a huge skimmer that can do lots more than what it was designed for. If I have to.

15. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I would not like to go for a small skimmer again because I think the lower the capacity the more fine tuning is required.

16. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

But my tank is a meagre 70L ..... It has never run with a skimmer, and I'm still mostly partial towards not running a skimmer. Though i might just try this out tho...

17. Zombie_CT

Zombie_CT

Dane, I still have two small skimmers that I can sell. One is a Buyo WG310 and the other one is Reef Octopus NS80 this one has a 200 07:59:52 per hour pump with pin wheel empeller.

If you want you can give me a call or send me an email, don't always have access to the forum anymore.

18. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

My tank is 80l plus the sump of 30l and it runs on a TS2. I must admit the TS2 was bought for a previous 4FT tank but it now works so well in the small tank. When I had the Jebo I had to tune it twice a day and now I clean the bowl once a week. I would say buy a big skimmer if you can and you get a lot of extra time to do whatever else your setup or maybe your family requires. Now if you can help me to get rid of that Vuvusela noise on tv I will be so happy.

Why does people like to make a big noise if they have no explanation to justify the noise?

19. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

what happens wen u use a hairdryer instead of toilet paper.

20. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

You also get it dry, but the brown colour remains.

Recent Posts