Earthing your tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mitchel, 1 Mar 2015.

1. mitchel

mitchel

After getting quite a shock the other day, my skimmer pump is to blame I found the trend on how to earth your tank with a welding rod,wore and a plug. How many of you have done this and has it worked for you
    I'm going to make one cause after the shock I got I'm nervier to put my hand in the tank even though I've fixed the skimmer pump, the heater or other pumps could leak electricity in the water

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I've done it on all my tanks.

Last time this kicked the DB box out was due to a faulty heater. Just after midnight. Without it it would have hit me so bad first thing that morning when I fed my fish. Barefoot and in my pajamas, (or lack of pajamas). :lol:

For those who want to know how to do it.
    DIY grounding probe - Marine Aquariums South Africa

4. zippy

zippy

make sure your house is earthed correctly too, no use having an earth probe and your house earth isn't earthed, I re-earthed my roof(tin) and my earth leakage(board) after my Father got hit by lightning earlier this year. Find a decent moist patch close to a wall, bang in an earth spike and make a moist patch that you water every so often, have it mostly in a shaded area all day. It's even a good idea to change the circuit breaker on the plugs that supply power to your tank to like a 10 amp breaker.

5. shaneparkins

shaneparkins

My skimmer also does it, got such a fright other day. Whats easiest way to earth the tank?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

7. mitchel

mitchel Thread Starter

ive just made a diy ground probe for tank, did a test and my skimmer pump is charging my tank water. no more shocks for me thank goodness. now time to order a red devil skimmer pump :thumbup:

8. shaneparkins

shaneparkins

Just did mine too, feel much better. Those dam shocks were getting to me. Can actually fiddle in my sump without a ZAP!!!

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Should still search for that piece of equipment that does leak electricity and replace it. A pump that leaks a little bit today, will trip the house power after midnight on a Saturday night.

Easiest is to put a Multimeter / Voltmeter on the earth wire you got in your tank. Unplug all equipment. And switch them back on one by one, each time checking the Multimeter for a reading. Remember that heaters, if they are at fault can stuff you around. Only giving a reading when they switch on. OK, depends on type of heater. also, keep your hands out of the water while doing this test. Duh.

10. mitchel

mitchel Thread Starter

well said RiaanP

11. shaneparkins

shaneparkins

Thank god i did my tank, while i was fiddling in sump my heater exploded and the earth leakage tripped. If my tank wasnt earthed i might have been fried. Thanks to Riaans past posts i actually did it :eek:

ziguri likes this.
Recent Posts