Earth-leakage problems

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Jakkie, 1 Mar 2012.

1. Jakkie

Jakkie

Hi I have installed a Hailea Chiller. It runs for 2 weeks, now it is tripping the earth leakage. I have opened it and checked for water leaks-nothing. What else can be wrong???

Last edited: 1 Mar 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What else is on the same plug point? Take into account that other wall plugs can be on the same circuit.

Most likely you are overloading that circuit.

4. zayd

zayd

What plug adapter are you using? I had the same problem with overheating and caused the fuse in the adapter to blow. I cut the plug off and connected normal SA 3-pin plug.

Problem solved.

5. Tony

Tony

Plug it into a point on its own and see if it still trips then take it back for repairs. If not then try and find the culprit by process of elimination. You dont want to mess with earth leakage which can cause nasty shocks. I dont think its an overloaded circuit because the circuit breaker would trip and not the earth. The plug adapter could also be faulty so try another one

6. Jubs

Jubs

Jakkie and I discovered that there was nothing wrong with the chiller.

A small pump (Octopus) in the DSB become faulty. The earth-leakage detected the hazardous situation and tripped.

Somehow the power supply of the small pump (220V) came in contact with the water in the DSB (touch... pause.... disengage!! :eek:). The water is obviously also in contact with the chiller and the earth connected to it, caused the earth-leakage to trip.

After testing all the equipment in the DSB, we removed the faulty pump (will replace soon). We then started the chiller again and it continued to operate successfully.

(Btw, I do not see any physical damage to the supply wire of the pump and can only assume that something went wrong inside the pump)

(Mods, please change the subject line so it is more relevant: Earth-leakage problems)

7. DeanT

DeanT Dean

I know this thread is old , but the subject is relevant
    I recently had a earth leakage problem whereby I couldn't run any plugs in my house
    I managed to isolate the problem to my tank and then singled out a pump with was causing the issue

The pump was bought second hand so I have no warranty claim but what would cause a pump that has Been running for say 6 months all of a sudden trip my earth leakage

I thought maybe the wet weather in cape town was the cause but left the pump off for a few days , tried it again and instantly tripped the earth leakage in the house

Is there a way to fix this or does one just throw it out and buy another ?

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

get another.

9. Dave F

Dave F

This shows the importance of having an earth probe, had you put your hand in the water.........

10. Ishtak

Ishtak

Anyone have any ideas how to test for earth leakage? Power was out for 4 hours today (thanks eishkom) and when it came back on my Waterboy 3 in 1 pump didnt come on and my skimmer pump is making a funny noise and not skimming. I put my hand into the water to shake the skimmer to see if there was something loose inside and just about wet myself from the shock .. I need to isolate what is causing it but I'd rather not stick my hand in the water each time I turn something on! Is there a probe or something I can use that will tell me?

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

You will need a meter, switch off everything, then power up each one on then off and see which one shows current.

12. Stanley

Stanley

You will have to plug the items on one by one, you can use a multi meter,.. one probe in the water and the other to earth if you see which one gives you a high reading that one will be the culprit.. hope this helps a bit.. your earth leakage would trip if their is an earth wired to one of the instruments or if there is an earth probe cause our pumps is normally double insulated

13. Ishtak

Ishtak

Thanks for the info guys .. I'm gonna grab a meter in the morning and start checking. My current meter is bust .. first time in a year that I need to use it :( I've switched all non-essential equipment. dont want to wake up to floating fishes!

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the fish is isolated, nothing will happen to them. Unless you got two open wire ends in the water that can cause chemical alterations.

also check out
    DIY grounding probe - Marine Aquariums South Africa

15. Zandy

Zandy

Take the chiller and leave it outside in sun ( if we will ever get sun again...lol) Had the same with mine and turned out that without noticing it got some water near the base..perhaps with a waterchange ?? It worked for me...might just work for you !

16. Stanley

Stanley

this will help you can rinse the pump with clean water, let it dry and check it again if it trips again you will need to replace the pump thus your insulation got damaged on the pump and the saltanity in the water doesnt make it easier as it conducts the electricity!! if you put your hand in the water your body then acts as the earth ground hence the electrical shock!!! follow the link of @RiaanP this will save your tank

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts