Early supplements?

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Hi experts!
My tank (750l, strong skimming, no lights yet) has been running about a week with 45 kg of live rock (so far, lots more to come). I've seen quite a bit of life already - tiny tube/fan worms, a carpet star (good or bad??) and a strange tube like thing with a very long tentacle (will photograph it when i can).
My question is: should I be adding any supplements at this early stage? What are these things eating? I'm worried they will starve. I'd obviously like the life in the tank to mature as fast as possible.
Any advice will be appreciated.

No need to add anythingh, there will be a surprising amount of food for the critters to eat, all over the rock there will be many nutrients in the form of algae or tiny critters

Shew

You are on the ball Wee Man! Thanks for this. The hardest part about this hobby so far has been learning to have patience!

Cheers

It took me 2 years of patience to get were i am today.
I started with the "kakste" stuff, and built my system up.
So yes Patience is the name of this hobby!!!!

!:1hissyfit: WE WANT PICS :1hissyfit: !

Hi Bayls - the only real supplements you might need, once you have corals, is: kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide - Slaked Lime), and IF you have nemmie's or crabs/shrimps and you skim very heavily - IODINE (some people will say that this is not necessary)....
Otherwise you do not need to add any other supplements to your tank...

You are on the ball Wee Man! Thanks for this. The hardest part about this hobby so far has been learning to have patience!

Cheers

Baylis it is worth it, look at tanks like Alan's, that is a labour of love. It will be worth it in the long run.

My question is: should I be adding any supplements at this early stage?

You don't really need to add any additives, but if you insist, the only supplement you should add whilst the LR is curing (and only if you can test for pH), would be either an alkalinity buffer (baked bicarbonate of soda) or a kalkwasser (lime water) drip into a high-flow area. Either additive will counteract the natural tendency for the pH to drop while the rock is curing.

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom