E-bay purchase

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Seabass, 26 Jan 2011.

1. Seabass

Seabass

Hi anyone purchased on e-bay? Placed my order for my putter $ 103.50 on Monday and it is on it's way to SA. When it gets her what will happen, does it stay at customs in JHB or would it come down to EL customs. What about customs charges, vat etc. Please let me know of your dealings. I need to prepare myself for the wait i guess. Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

not an e-bay purchase but my bid or buy purchase of 2 x PS2 games went very smooth, and the stuff came from the UK. took 3 weeks on the dot. and had excellent feedback when i enquired about the wherabouts details.

hope you experience the same.

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

you will have to pay VAT on the goods, and depending on what they categorise the product as, there may be a import duty

5. danimal

danimal

I buy off ebay fairly often and only once had a problem - goods never arrived, filed a complaint and paypal refunded me so it's very secure. did take a while though for the whole process.

APPARENTLY (i have never seen official legislation, so don't take my word for it) you are allowed to bring R3000 worth of goods into the country before they charge VAT. it also depends what you bring in, as dallas said.

my dslr ($550) i got on ebay, and was charged R1200 import duty. i bought a lens for it a few months later ($110) and was never charged anything. so your $103 purchase should arrive in EL no problems (holding thumbs!)

in all i think ebay is great, you can get a lot of things a whole lot cheaper than here, buy only from sellers with good reputations and you should be fine.

6. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Thanks holding thumbs, golf tour in feb.

7. Jhavenga

Jhavenga

Hey,

If they are going to charge you any import duties or VAT etc, the putter should go to your nearest post office. You'll get a slip in your postbox saying your package has arrived at the post office and you need to go an pay xx (whatever amount).

@danimal, the R3,000.00 you are referring to is when you yourself have been overseas and bring the stuff into the country with you. This does not apply when you import stuff without leaving the country yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Ok, thanks Jhavenga. Just want it in EL, thought that post office might collect the vat, import duties & customs charges etc.

9. danimal

danimal

cool, good to know :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Received my putter today, played 9 holes this evening, very happy.

The putter was well packaged.

In summary, won bid on 24/01/2011, paid same day. Shipped on the 25/01/2011 from Chicago. Landed in SA on 10/02/2011 and at my post office on the 16/02/2011. Say 3 weeks in total.

Cost was R 746 ($ 103,5)
    Shipping R 288 ($ 40)
    So R 1,034 to SA.
    Now add vat R 114.76 and
    Clearance R 25
    Total cost R 1,173.76

Note this putter is not available in SA. Also the same putter went for $ 60 a few days later, so like our hobby if you are patient you will save big time.

I am very confident with any future e-bay purchases.

Oh well golf tour starts on Friday, Pezula, Oubaai and Simola, so got it just in time.

11. danimal

danimal

good stuff :) 3 weeks, probably about average for shipping from the states

12. Quintonv

Quintonv

Enjoy the golf bud :1:

13. lIghty

lIghty

I've bought goods over the web, you should have to pay VAT (14%) and depending what the goods are, duties may apply. I've bought electronics "spares" where I didn't have to pay any duties, and I've actually got to go pick up another parcel (car spares) tomorrow which I'm having to pay 6% duties (plus VAT = 20%)

I've never had any problems of good not arriving, but then I only deal with reputable companies.

Recent Posts