e-bay purchase

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Seabass, 8 Nov 2010.

1. Seabass

Seabass

Hi all

Wanting to buy supplies / hardware etc on e-bay, anyone done this, is it safe or not. Is it a good or bad idea, current exchange rate is great for SA at the moment. :peroni: Kindly advise:yeahdude:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brettb2020

brettb2020

Iv bought 100's of items on ebay, even my camera which was just shy of R20000. I dont hesitate at all spending that kind of money on there because I know its going into good hands.

Just make sure that the seller has good ratings and is a certified seller so if anything does go wrong you get paid up to $2000 insurance.

The small problem is when it gets to our side of the postage sometimes things can go missing or take really long to arrive. when I track an item a buy it usually takes about 3 or 4 days to get to the South African post office depo and about 2 weeks from there to arrive at my door. doesnt make sense but hey.

Iv only ever had one small item go missing which was not insured. just make sure that you pay the extra 5 or so dollars for shipping insurance.

4. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Cool, that is great news.
    Is postage not expensive, looking at 2 Tunze 6105's and a 7096 controler?

Last edited: 8 Nov 2010
  5. brettb2020

brettb2020

if you want tunze's speak to george. here is his site http://www.aqua-africa.co.za/

hes also a sponsor on this site.

getting it from ebay wont be cheaper and if you have a problem you gotta send it the way back to where ever it came from.

tunze is one of things that is the same price globally.

trust me on this one.

6. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Ok George it is. Thanks

7. SumthingFishy

SumthingFishy

Rather buy through George. Backup service is also very important when buying electronic stuff, especially when there are moving parts involved. And you will get your package quicker than from overseas!

8. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

ebay is all good, but:
    I lost allot of money buying an amp from a fraud!

Make sure you only pay via paypal, and that the ebay warranty applies to the sale!

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Certain things, rather go with the more expensive SA supplier. You never know if you would need that warrantee backup. Just some peace of mind to know that you can just take something back and it is replaced. Been there, done that. Even got the pumps replaced by totally another make and type of pumps.

10. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Thanks all, going with local Mr George.

11. chas84

chas84

Seabass, sorry to be a bit off topic, but I've also got a question about buying on eBay. There are a few guys selling very nice frags on there, and I was wondering if anyone could mention what permit would be needed, packaging, etc. to get some of the frags here? Obviously they'd be lank stressed if one doesn't use a same/two day courier service (which isn't always possible). Was wondering if certain frags (like zoa's and other softies) would survive the few days it would take them to get here with normal UPS/Fedex service?

12. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Sadly it's not that easy, otherwise we would ALL be doing it and we would all have those nice American corals in our tanks.;)

13. Norman_the_fish

Norman_the_fish

are you guys buying from ebay.co.uk or ebay.com ? which is better for SA destined purchases?

Recent Posts