Urgent help needed Dying fish

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by marinenoob, 7 Aug 2010.

1. marinenoob

marinenoob

Hi Guys,

Last sunday i had a look at my tank and all was well. Fish were swimming about and corals were looking good. But later that evening when i came home all my fish had died except my clown but too has died today.

Below are some of my parameters and i used Red Sea Marine test kit to test and not sure what to make of the results:

Salinity - 1.025
    Temp - 25.5 - 26.0
    Ph - 8.4
    Alk - 2.9
    ammonia - 0.25

I have done a 40% water change already. My tank size is 280l and my sump is about 60l. Skimmer is TS1.

I really don't know what more i can do. Please help.

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jacojs

Jacojs

It must have something to do with your ammonia reading, isn't it always supposed to be 0? I don't even have a tank yet so lets wait and see what others have to say, I could be wrong.

Sorry to hear man.

Jaco.

Last edited: 7 Aug 2010
  4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Are their any fish still alive? and how do the corals look?

5. marinenoob

marinenoob Thread Starter

No fish are living only my boxer shrimp is alive. My mushroom corals seem burnt and other polyps and zoas on open like halfway.

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

OK normally if it is a water quality thing the shrimp would be one of the first to go. So that rules out water poisoning by sprays and polishes.

Unfortunately because there are no living fish we cannot ascertain if the mortality were caused by disease. Unless you noticed anything like fish colour fading or spots or rapid breathing.

There are two other considerations.
    1) Lack of dissolved oxygen. This could be due to a power out while you were out or a pump that malfunctioned.
    2) Temperature went very high.

The condition of the corals would indicate a heat issue combined with a lack of DO.
    The Ammonia reading is most likely from the dead fish or a fish that has died and is decaying in the rocks. Make sure that you can account for all the fish. Nothing else died like a coral or anemone?

7. marinenoob

Hi,

as far as i knew my fish were healthy, my tangs were sickly when i bought them about two months ago. they had alot of white spot but i managed to get them looking full bellied and white spot free.

How do i increase the amount of DO as stated above?

I have not had any outages and temp is indeed normal. i am certain i have removed all my fish as well. i have also noticed a few aiptasia in my tank is also suffering. the corals are all starting to bulbble up like when you poison aiptasia.

I thought my Bio balls may be an issue and have no also removed them, was this correct to do? i do not have a DSB or place for one so what is my other option?

thanks,

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

To increase the DO improve water surface agitation. Point a circulation pump upwards is a great way of doing it.

Removing the Bio Balls was not a good idea. They had good bacteria that would have helped bring down the Ammonia. I would put them back to try and shorten the recovery period.

I just checked out your thread re the carpet anemone. if it died and was not removed timelessly, it is most likely the cause.

Best to do a water change and let the tank cycle again. Make sure that there is no ammonia and nitrite in the tank before adding any live stock.

9. Broder

Broder Mudshark

And get that alk up to at least 6dkh. But slowly so as not to shock inhabitants.

10. Annoying

Annoying

Extremely sorry to here about your loss! Do you know what happend to the nennie, most likely nemos janitor is correct and thanks to the anemone dying it caused the rest of the tank to nuke!

11. marinenoob

Hi,

my anemone is still alive and well. it has settled in a spot and is even eating. so i do not think that is the problem.

12. gregdorfling

gregdorfling

Have you recently added any additional calcium, or magnesium to the system as you kh is quite low, If this is the case, It could be that you added it to quickly and may have un-ballanced the system and that percipetation may have occured and that would allso change parrameters to the point that the calsium build up on the gills of the fish would cause them to die of rapidly, while shrimps and corrals survive. Also check that all your pumps are working correctly and that there is no short in your system. Electrucution of fish maybe?

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, the Red Sea test kits measure alkalinity in meq/l, so if we convert it then his reading of 2.9 meq/l would give him a reading of 8.12 dKH, which is perfect.

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yup that is correct. NSW has an alkalinity of about 2,5 meg/l. That is why i was not to concerned about the KH. However if Alk was added to try and increase the KH (Thinking that the measurement is in dKH) this could cause issues. Especially if the alk was a balanced product. The Mg in the alk buffer would have increased the Ammonia if added in large amounts. This would also have lowered the DO dramatically.

Guys it is very important to clarify test readings, Both when requesting and giving advice. It could result in a disaster.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2010
  15. marinenoob

Hi,

I have not added anything recently. Only one thing of note happened a few days before my mishap. My tank was running low on water and my return pump was basically pumping the last little bit of water into the tank, but i managed to top up just in time with RO water. I dunno if any of the dirt at the bottom may have caused this?

regards,

16. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Hi marinenoob, This is NJ. The low level water thing could be your issue. If the return pump ran dry it may have overheated and burned releasing toxic plastic into the water. this could also have been the casewith the top off pump.

Smell the pumps. if they smell like a electric burning smell then that is the cause. The pumps may still work but release toxins into the water.

17. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Thanks, Viper and NJ, for saving marinenoob from my bad advice. Big wake up call to always check that we have the correct measurements.

18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bud you did say above 6dKH. :)

19. marinenoob

Hi,

So should i just let my tank cycle now, and what about my corals? should i just leave them, will they survive?

regards,

20. marinenoob

Hi,

Thought i would add pics of my corals. Hope it helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Zuna

Zuna

hey man i had the same problem a few days ago with my new tank. i transferred everything from my old 4ft tank without an overflow to my new one. everything was cool for about 2 week and all of a sudden my fish started dying and my softies started looking even better than they did in my first tank. i found my ammonia and nitrate started picking up a bit... i used a product called seachem Stability and something called cycle. my ammonia dropped and fish started looking better.

good lucky buddy

Recent Posts