Dyed Corals

Reaction score
Guys, this is a bit conserning.

I've seen more and more corals coming in to our LFS here in EL which are dyed to ad colour, ie a leather or something that's bright yellow, only to fade in time and turn white, thus never restoring it's own natural colour.

These corals will stay in the LFS, 'cause no one wants to buy them. Some corals however s only subtle (spelling?) dyed and I, as an amature reefer, think it's a natural colour.

How can one tell it's definately dyed, and how can this be stopped? Who really want a fake coral in a nice system?

The dyed corals also die eventually :( I have bought two already, you will see the skimmate changing color. Best advice is to check it up on google before you buy ;) if the color is bright and pretty and its cheap. Then the chances are it is dyed.

I dont know of lightly dyed corals, dyed corals are normally brightly coloured. The best advice is to research the coral before you spend your hard earned cash.

what type of dye do they use to dye the corals ,what is it

tyson i think the use food dye, heard that they use greens and bright colours. then charge you more for the brighter coral. big skam

The best is not to buy these corals so the importers will stop importing them because the pet shops will refuse to stock them.

Sorry Reaper just noticed, i have seen dyed LPS and soft corals but never SPS corals. Are you talking about dyed SPS pieces here, never heard of that before?

ive also had a bad experience from (i think) a dyed acro.it came into a LFS,stated its a "rare blue acro".looked stunning.after a few weeks it began to turn white and then died.manged to frag a little piece but it's more on the dark brown side,waiting to see what it turns out to look like

thinking back my sister bought a bright yellow finger leather, after a month it fadded white. do you think this coral was dyed??

ive also had a bad experience from (i think) a dyed acro.it came into a LFS,stated its a "rare blue acro".looked stunning.after a few weeks it began to turn white and then died.manged to frag a little piece but it's more on the dark brown side,waiting to see what it turns out to look like
More than likely it bleached from light shock, never heard of dyed SPS Mekaeel.
The yellow finger leather i would say yes it was dyed.

Sorry guys, my mistake, didn't read my own post after typing - not SPS, LPS and Leathers.

Suppose the "lightly" dyed corals was just faded already...

Unfortunately our LFS don't even know what they'll get in from their suppliers, so no use hoping it'll stop...

LFS can order exactly what they want off a list, or if they just order a mixed box, they can certainly stipulate no died corals, and demand money back if they come.

I have discussed this with the LFS in the past as well, but they're adamant that they don't know what they'll be getting. I for instance asked on numerous occations what stock they'll be getting, but they'll say they have ordered this and that, but don't know if they'll get it since the suppliers just send whatever they want to.

I'd change supplier if it was my place...

More than likely it bleached from light shock, never heard of dyed SPS Mekaeel.
probably.didnt know SPS couldnt be dyed.but i doubt it was caused by light shock as wheni introduced him to my system place him at the bottom,and then raised him midway in the tank,oh and i shouldve mentioned,there wasnt any polp extension from the time i saw it at the LFS

LFS can order exactly what they want off a list, or if they just order a mixed box, they can certainly stipulate no died corals, and demand money back if they come.

For sure they can demand money back, but usually only for the coral. They still have to pay shipping, and possibly shipping back to where it came from.

our guys here are so relaxed when it comes to marines, the problem arises where the people ordering the coral dont know the names are not that they dont know what they are getting.....

so generally they opt for a mixed box.....

guys the other day at a local LFS i saw a really stunning purple acro.it arrived a day before i saw it.it showed no polyp extension, so i asked the the dealer to keep it for me and i'll collect in a weeks time.my question,after what period of time do acros show polyp extention after being in transit?some of the other acros did have polyp extension the day after they arrived.

our guys here are so relaxed when it comes to marines, the problem arises where the people ordering the coral dont know the names are not that they dont know what they are getting.....

so generally they opt for a mixed box.....
Hard to believe, i would think that a LFS would do a bit of research into what their clients want. Les please dont misunderstand me i dont doubt that this happens, just really bad for the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom