Dwarf Seahorses

Discussion in 'Other Livestock' started by Zandy, 24 Oct 2012.

1. Zandy

Zandy

Hi all, just want to know if a person would be able to house say about 2 dwarf seahorses in a 11liter nano skims tank. The flow is very suttle and i am not planning on keeping anything else with it? Some ideas? I have 2 x Nano Skimz boxes. One i am using as a quarintine tank but would like to know if it will be ok to keep 2 x dwarf in 11l water with just a small piece of live rock inside. I will obviously make sure that there would be some hanging blocks available by using perhaps some of that plastic fence

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. BlastoM

BlastoM

Seahorses are banned from import into SA at the moment! But if you have them already the water parameters must be kept as stable as possible, so in a nano tank that may be a bit hard?

4. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

Please explain what you mean with it may be a bit hard? I understand they are tricky with water parameters, and flow and slow eaters. And need at least 2-3 feedings a day, what other problems do you forsee?

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

dwarf seahorses are very difficult feed, in general the food they require is readily available here in SA, most use DT plankton range of products.

they require very good params and stability and in a 11L nano you might get good params but with water changes you will stress them out.

6. Sea-Horse

Sea-Horse

Zandy,

I have successfully kept 6 dwarf Seahorses in a 20L tank with no more than a sponge filter. I will gladly share my knowledge, experience and books on the subject with you but the question is DO YOU HAVE ANY ?

I legally imported several 3 years ago but I am not aware of any still alive today (average live span 2 years). The biggest problem they have is that they eat only live food - by this I mean decapsulated brine shrimp and Enriched Brine shrimp.

While keeping them it soon became clear that they are very highly priced, needed way more attention that the average marine keeper would be willing to spend on maintaining the tank and just not a worthwhile Seahorse for the South African trade.

If you are willing to decapsulate, hatch, enrich, and clean the tank on a daily bases they are like their bigger cousins incredible animals.

Please also see my correction on Sea-Horse laws

Last edited: 24 Oct 2012
  7. Sea-Horse

Sea-Horse

Hi BlastoM

A quick correction to all those on the forums - Sea Horse imports are neither banned nor illegal in South Africa but near impossible to import as a species on it's own. The reason behind this is a lack of governments appointed individuals willing to make decisions.

The following laws apply to the Sea-Horse keeping in South Africa.
    1. You are not allowed to purchase or own H.Capensis (Knysna Seahorse)
    2. You are not allowed to remove or catch Seahorses from the South African Coastline

If you were interested in breeding, raising and exporting marine animals to the trade
    1. You would need a aquamarine permit (near impossible to get)
    2. You need a species specific permit (chances that a Seahorse will be allowed is incredibly small)

If you are a Supplier/importer
    1. The seahorse has to be captive bred frozen eating 3rd generation or older
    2. All Seahorses has to imported with a accompanying Cites certificate from the country of origin. South Africa's cites can place restrictions on the permits.

Right now Cities South Africa is refusing to sign permits and without a letter stating why the permit is declined you can not challenge the decision. The situation has been brought under the attention of the public protector - expect the department to be reprimanded in a period of 3 years or more by which time the people involved will no longer hold those positions.

Just thought I would share my 3 year history lesson ;)

8. seank

seank

@Sea-Horse, thank you for the info....interesting...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Sea-Horse

Sea-Horse

My pleasure, I can write a book on this topic but the mere thought of the three year battle sees me packing my bags in anticipation of immigrating. Sadly the only reason the matter was left was because it drained my financial resources while not making a ounce of difference when it came to the availability of Sea Horses in Pet Shops.

If guys who breed Rhino and has the financial backing make so little progress, how does a one man band fight the orchestra.

On a side note - my first ever permit was declined - the reason - Sea Horses pose a thread to our Owl population and YES I have also been referred to the equestrian devision.

10. seank

seank

Lol, they just know how to operate, cause they appointed with the right criteria..... Oehhh eh eh, just one diploma is enough

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

this is sad that our government is efficient

12. Sea-Horse

Sea-Horse

What's sad is that neighbouring countries (excluding Zimbabwe) has smaller populations and protect and export various fish and animals with none of these problems. Woud be nice if we looked at their examples.

13. Anemone

Anemone

@Sea-Horse Has it really been 3 years already? There are no dwarf offsprings from that import? Did you not get any Erectus in that import?

Recent Posts