Dwarf Angel Advice

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Thommo, 20 Oct 2009.

1. Thommo

Thommo

I have a +- 700lt reef aquarium with various inhabitants including a bi colour and a pygmy angel. i'm keen to add a flame but am a bit concerned there could be some action from my existing angels who have had free reign in the tank for at least 5 years. any suggestions?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

man it can be done providing you have alot of rockwork for the fish to take cover in should things get a little nasty

size of the flame in relation to your existing angels is going to be a thing to watch the flame ( if smaller) should work as he may not be seen as a threat but this is all speculation.. i do think you are gonna battle...

Are you gary?

4. brentv

brentv

I had a similar kinda situation some years ago, same size tank inhabitants etc..
    Generally if the new one you add is bigger then it should be fine, but they've been in there for 5 years allready! they might chase and harass depending on the hiding places but should settle down in a day or 2.
    You normally have more hassles trying to get surgeons and tangs introduced...

5. Thommo

Thommo Thread Starter

Rock work is no problem - I have plenty. The flame is probably the same size as the bi colour so could create a bit of tension

6. Thommo

Thommo Thread Starter

Hi Les - yes it is me.

7. leslie hempel

good to see you here gary.. have you posted pics of your tank here yet? i just added a flame in my tank about 1-2weeks ago with my bi color and i was lucky it was a success.. i was fortunate to get a flame out of an established tank though so it was boss when he went in pushing the bi color aside and actually chasing it for the next 2 days.. im sure it will be fine knowing that you are experienced as you are.. if the flame is in peak condition im sure he will be able to fend for himself..

8. Thommo

Thommo Thread Starter

Thanks - I'll give it a go.

9. Thommo

Thommo Thread Starter

10. leslie hempel

shotto found it.. looking good as always..

11. durleo

durleo

Maybe try introducing him at night when the other fish are sleeping. That way he wont be bothered and can find his way around the tank with little stress:)

12. leslie hempel

i punish my fish if they fight :0 i put the lights off and cover the tank with a blanket (old school but it works).. i do this if any fighting persists between existing and new additions...

13. Thommo

Thommo Thread Starter

I took the plunge and added the flame..........disaster. Main problem - pygmy angel. I turned all the lights off and there was peace. As soon as the lights came on this morning it was WWII. Flame just got persistantly hammered. So now he is out again. Thanks for the advice Les, but I don't want to risk a whitespot outbreak. I think i'll have to remove the pygmy before trying any more dwarf angels. So it's back to the status quo for now.

14. leslie hempel

sorry to hear.. must have been a mission to get him back out...

15. Achilles

Achilles

Thommo if you are able to make a see through container with holes drilled in it of adequate size( an acclimation chamber you can even put a small piece of rock in it with the fish), you can put your new fish in there so the other fish can get used to him but not harm him , even better is if you know the aggressor and able to trap him put him in the container and allow the flame to establish territory in the aquarium and after about 1-2 weeks release him , this has often worked well for me

16. leslie hempel

achillies i see this is a very popular method used by the US guys.. persoanlly wouldve suggested placing the sish in a secure compartment in the sump and allowing to settle and aclimatise to water parameters (as this alone is a huge thing) then after being more settled handle the introduction to the other tank mates.. unfortunatley no sump in this case.. but the idea you have suggested is a good one...

17. Thommo

Thommo Thread Starter

Thanks Achillies/Les. I think my best option is to remove both the pygmy and the bi colour and try and reintroduce a new batch of angels all at once. In this case, the pygmy is the main aggressor - real nasty dude.

18. leslie hempel

good luck gary.. i know you will come rite..

Recent Posts