Durso - Stupid question

RiaanP

Reaction score
I checked the design for a Durso stand pipe.
Now my question, If used in the overflow box in a bottom drilled tank, will yucky stuff not settle down in the bottom part of the overflow?
I mean the water overflow at the top, drop maybe 5 cm, and the top part is suctioned into the drain. Any heavy stuff will sink down and create a filthy environment at the bottom. And there will not be any water movement either in the bottom part.
Filthy stuff, standing water? Sounds to me like a recipe for some disaster.

Yes stuff can settle there but if your overflow rate is decent it should ever really be a problem. My durso isn't "fixed" in place so I lift it out of place easily and the whole compartment will drain instantly.

Yes stuff can settle there but if your overflow rate is decent it should ever really be a problem. My durso isn't "fixed" in place so I lift it out of place easily and the whole compartment will drain instantly.

Yip have the same design, great for getting it out when one of my Super Tongan SNails block it up :p

Any heavy stuff will sink down and create a filthy environment at the bottom. And there will not be any water movement either in the bottom part.
Filthy stuff, standing water? Sounds to me like a recipe for some disaster.
That's exactly what happened to me when I did my first DIY durso, I glued everything together so was unable to remove it, I ended up having to syphon the bottom of the overflow box regularly. Best not to glue it all together so that it can be removed and cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom