Durso problems

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Punk, 20 Jul 2008.

1. Punk

Punk

hey guys, i bought this nano from galibore, it had 1 x 20mm durso & was fed from 1 2900l/h pump feeding a SCWD

i thought i'd pimp it out a bit & added another 2900l/h pump & 20mm durso (i need this extra flow as i don't want any pumps in the display - i want to keep a nennie without making soup!)

now with both pumps on the durso's can't handle the flow as i keep flooding the display?!?!

should 2 x 20mm's be able to handle this flow or will i have to put in another durso ... or what can i do???

here's some pics to try exlpain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks!
    ant

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Can you run it and find out? then if there are problems you could report back.

4. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Can't quite make it out from those pics but what plumbing is there after the 90 that "sucks" up the water?

5. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Punk we need better pics:p

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Don't see a "Durso" in any of those pics... Well, OK, perhaps just the top of one in the last pic (small hole in end cap), but that appears to be in the sump... you will have to show detail pics or give description (and sketch) of Dursos if you don't want us guessing.

Hennie

7. Punk

Punk Thread Starter

very sorry guys, the display at the top has a small overflow box which has 2 of these external durso's in it (the blue line is the glass):

[​IMG]

i've tried turning both pumps on at the same time but every time i flood my place :(

8. Rory

Is there a hole/tap at the top? Try opening opening it fully and then try turn on the pumps. You could also increase the size of the hole if that's not enough. If neither of those work then you'll probably need to add another one :(

9. Punk

Punk Thread Starter

yeah the one has an air valve and the other an adjustable end cap with a hole drilled

i've tried increasing and decreasing the air flow, it seems like the smaller the air hole the more flow it can handle, but still not enough...

i'll probably have to drill another one hey?

10. Rory

Seems like it... Generally the pipes for the overflow are bigger than the ones for the return seeing as the water overflows "passively" whereas the water in the returns is being forced through.

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

The problem is that you don't have enough water head. The top of the horizontal section of pipe should be below the water level - preferably 10-20mm below.

It also looks as if the internal elbows are of a smaller diameter than the rest of the down pipes, this would further restrict the flow rate.

Before you drill another hole, try to remove the elbows (if possible), and only have short "stumps" on the inside of the chamber. If this does not work then I would suggest that you drill a third hole a bit deeper down than the first two.

Hennie

12. Punk

Punk Thread Starter

many thanks hennie! i'll give it a try, last resort drill another 32mm hole :thumbup:

13. Hill

Hill

I would go with the 32mm hole. Gives some extra head room for when a pipe gets partially clogged.

14. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Punk,

I removed the second durso simply because the one was enough for the 2,900L/H pump. So, theoretically, adding the second one again should allow you to add another 2,900L/H pump. Start with the air holes of both dursos closed. That will give you maximum flow. Then, until you hear it sucking up air (gurgling), slowly open the air holes bit by bit.

BTW, the pipes are 20mm OD all the way to the sump.

15. Punk

Punk Thread Starter

thanks man, i tried with both durso's closed and for some reason they can't handle the flow (at least for the first 20 seconds or so until both durso's kick in properly), last night i drilled another 32mm hole so i'll hopefully be testing it soon :thumbup:

Recent Posts