Durbs Collection

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Garethmur, 27 Jan 2011.

1. Garethmur

Garethmur

Howzit,
    Just showing what we managed to collect while in Durban.

[​IMG]
    Can someone tell us what the big round stuff is on the right in the above pic, we thought it was zoas, but the little ones look so different?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All Doing Well so far...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Looks like colonial anemones to me. The red plum anems is also not that great to have. If those knobbly shells are snails then get rid of them. They are predatory snails and will kill the other snails. If they are hermits then it should be fine.

4. Garethmur

Garethmur Thread Starter

thanks for the info, Tanz the wife likes the rock anems, so they can stay, colonial ones, i duno, they looked coowl, so will keep them. lots of hermits and a few snails doing the clean up. the snails we have seem to be turbo snails, but not sure, we did research a little before we collected the stuff, and we left all the weird looking snails. The ones we have now are doing a great job with the clean up so far. our tank was on its own for like 9 days with no human intervention and the only issue was a crap load of algae... rocks seem literally polished in some places...

5. danimal

danimal

yep those are the local colonial guys, if they get big they will eat nemo but otherwise they're pretty cool :)

watch out for the urchin, they grow pretty quick and can be quite destructive when they move around, knocking rocks over etc. so be careful that if it does knock things over it can't do any damage. it would suck to come home to a cracked pane because cute little urchin decided to rearrange your rocks...

Last edited: 27 Jan 2011
  6. Garethmur

Garethmur Thread Starter

haha, ja i read that, will keep an eye on em... but they are scrubbing them rocks just as hard as the hermits at the mo...

7. KeeganP

KeeganP

Hey there guys,
    Hey Garethmur
    Where in durbs did you collect? did you get those Kzn special rainbow zoas? :)

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Jan 2011
  8. Garethmur

Garethmur Thread Starter

uvongo/margate area, and i duno, the wife did the zoa collecting, i think she found some red, some green and a few blue ones, but i still gota see... they all in the quarantine tank still
    what special rainbow thingies?

9. KeeganP

KeeganP

Awesome man, na I was looking at your zoas the small ones at the back behind the mussel looks like rainbow zoas when closed, I call them the special one as they are always closed when collecting and dont really know if they are rainbows until they open lol. im fragging some at the moment.

Recent Posts