Duh Duh Duh .....Drum

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by brentv, 9 May 2012.

1. brentv

brentv

I've been through a few ancient threads on here before my MASA time and I'm interested
    in what everyone is buying these days in terms of water drums for storage, water changes and additional filtration??
    According to some of the old posts a person should buy food grade containers??
    I have always just bought from plastic shops!!
    Old topic but shedding some new light maybe an idea..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

As long as its not recycled it should be fine

4. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

So you say buy a new one only it's safer??
    I have a 1000L square container that was used apparently to clean leather, was a white chemical that was in the drum!! I filled it a couple of times once adding conduce crystals another was with 20L of vinigar mixed in and then pumped it full of NSW and discharged that twice
    Since then it has done 2 water changes!!
    You reckon the chemicals actually absorb and slow release into the water??

Last edited: 9 May 2012
  5. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I think JoJo drums are just great! If you can find 1000L flow bins that was not used for chemicals that would work great as well!

6. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

The Jojo drums, Rototank and the likes, do you guys just give it a single rinse when you buy, maybe with some added vinegar, or scrub etc, basically what manufacturing residue is still gonna be on it? I'm sure if we phone them they will just say it is already clean??!

7. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Giving it a good rinse with some vinegar should be fine. Lets see what the pros on the forum say!

8. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Hey guys, just for your info got hold of Rototank their drums are food grade plastic, in case people have to drink the water;)
    I ordered a 500L

9. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

How much did it set you back?

10. SteveZi

SteveZi

The best type of plastic for use in long-term food storage is high-density polyethylene (HDPE), which is indicated by the "2" symbol. HDPE is one of the most stable and inert forms of plastic.

Quote from another fishkeeping site:

It's often said that we should use "Food Safe" containers for our fish and it seems to make sense in some ways, but then...
    Why would we assume that if something is safe for us then it must also be safe for our fish, when so many things that are safe for us are definately not safe for our fish.

Just because it says it's "Food Grade" doesn't mean it is safe for you or your fish. Many of the so called "Non Food Grade" containers are far less likely to react with or leach chemicals into the water.

"Food Grade" Plastics Explained

Polystyrene
    Used for Meat trays, Burger wrapping, Beverage cups, may leach Styrene into the food it comes into contact with.
    Styrene compounds leaching from food containers are estrogenic (meaning they can disrupt normal hormonal functioning). Styrene is also considered a possible human carcinogen by the World Health Organization.

Polycarbonate
    Used for water containers, some baby bottles, metal can linings etc can release Bisphenol A, another suspected hormone disruptor, into liquids and foods.

Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC / Vinyl )
    By far the worst plastic, from both an environmental and health standpoint, It is found in a wide variety of products – from food packaging to children’s toys, plumbing and building materials to medical devices
    PVC which is also used in Plastic bottles, Trays in boxes of chocolates & Clingfilm. Can leach traces of toxic chemicals, known as adipates and phthalates (pronounced "tha-lates"), used to soften the PVC into foods. The risk of leaching is especially high with fatty foods and at higher temperatures.
    Vinyl chloride, the chemical used to make PVC, is a known human carcinogen, according to the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

Safer Options
    While the plastics below may also leach chemicals into foods, apparently there are no studies to date that suggest that these chemicals are hormone disruptors, or that they cause cancer or other ill health effects.

PolyEthylene TerEphthalate (PETE / Polyester)
    Used for Carbonated drinks bottles, Blister packs, Frozen meal trays. It makes a good gas and reasonable moisture barrier, as well as a good barrier to alcohol (requires additional treatment) and solvents. It is strong and impact-resistant. It is naturally colourless with high transparency.

High-Density PolyEthylene (HDPE)
    Used for water tanks, Milk Containers, Garden ponds (although not marked food safe), buckets etc is considered to be most safe due the manufacturing process. A linear polymer, HDPE is prepared from ethylene by a catalytic process. The absence of branching results in a more closely packed structure with a higher density of great stability and therefore the highest chemical resistance of all the plastics.

Low-Density PolyEthylene (LDPE)
    Used for Tubing, Carrier bags, Squeezy bottles (Ketchup etc). It is more pliable & lighter in weight & less dense than HDPE and also has less chemical resistance.

PolyPropylene (PP)
    Used in Textiles, Ropes, Bottle tops, Babies nappies, is tough and very resistant to many chemical solvents, bases and acids.

In my opinion, rather than being concerned with aquiring a container marked as "Food Grade" it may be a wiser option to use containers made from HDPE, as it has been proven to be the strongest, most resistant & stable of all the plastics. Household water tanks, Black plastic tubs & Tool storage containers found in most DIY stores, none of which are marked as "Food Grade", are generally made of HDPE
    HDPE is also the cheapest of all the plastics, a typical 120Ltr black plastic box with lid is about £15.00.

11. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Hey Steve,
    Do you know if Rototank complies with these requirements?
    Or should I give them a shout, coz a 150L Black container is not right for the dimensions I require?
    Have other guys used these types of tanks?
    I know I have a 200L Blue Plastic drum that I use to mature LR and I can't see any effects, What about our 20L drums for water collection, and buckets?
    Is the reaction that lets off the leaching from purely water contact or heat, if it's left in the sun??
    Sorry bud so many questions, but I'm sure I am asking the worrying questions for everyone using plastic containers of some sort:blush:

12. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Anyone else got thoughts on this whole plastic container thing?
    Rototank good???
    I chatted to them directly they say it is safe to even drink water out of, so safe for us... what about da fishies:whistling:

13. FransSny

FransSny

Should be fine , the only concern with all those rotomoulded products (jo jo , Nel Tanks etc) is it is manufactured from recycled material (even if they tell you otherwise) so there might be less safe materials used as well.

Having said that , I have been using one for 3 years to no ill effect

14. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

True I guess... So gonna give it a good clean with vinegar and go with it!

Recent Posts