DSLR advice

Discussion in 'Photography' started by brendanpre, 9 Feb 2012.

1. brendanpre

brendanpre

Okay I have been looking for a Cheap DSLR for a while and I have been offered a Nikon D60 for a good price.

Is this a good camera?

Would you recommmend it?

This will be my first DSLR, but I want somethimg that I can keep for a while, not some thing too basic that i will want to upgrade in a years time.

I was looking for a good second hand Canon 450/500D as I have played around with one and I really like them.

I have never used a Nikon before....

Any advice from the "pro's" would be very welcome.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. brendanpre

brendanpre Thread Starter

Thanks Belinda. As usual first in line with advice:p.

The one I was offered is a lot less

5. belindamotion

Yes...they are less...I've got the D50...you'rs..or the one you'r looking at is better...then I believe the S...something..:p..sorry, don't know Camera's...are better...but I suppose it boils down to what you want to "shoot"...and most of the times...it's the LENSES that makes the difference...WOW...I could be mistaken so don't take my word for it...here is a Link I had...not much as I was asking about the LENSES.. but gives you an idea about the importance of Lenses in ratio to what you want to "shoot"...again I stand corrected...:blush: I wanted MICRO
    Nikon D50 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

I guess you have to say what you want the camera for and then the guys can tell you wether that Camera can do "that" what you want it for...

6. belindamotion

7. brendanpre

I realise that the lenses are probably the biggest factor in getting the shot you want and will be looking around a lot in that regard. I don't have too much knowledge on which lense for which application yet.

Ideally i would like to use the camera as a good all rounder. Obviously tank pics are a priority, but, I would also like to use it for some landscapes and possibly portraits too.
    This is the main reason why I want to keep the camera for a while, it is going to take a bit of time to build up a collection of lenses.

8. Spikester

Spikester

Well from what I have found in general is that canon are quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent nikon. When you are looking at a eos 450 or 500 you are looking at quite a good base and good value for money. Couple that with 18-300 lens and you will have an amazing camera that will take you quite a while to get board of. I'm sure there is a nikon equivalent of the 450 and 500 and the 550 and you'll find there won't be much differnce between them other than price(nikon generally more expensive). It all comes down to preference and a canon guy will tell u to buy canon and a nikon guy will do the same. That's just my 2 cents.
    I use a canon eos-550 with a sigma 18-300 image stabilizing lens and I love it.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  9. brendanpre

As I said canon was my first choice, but this is a really good price. Thats what got my attention in the first place. I know this is probably going to open up the old "Canon vs Nikon" debate but it was not my intention. I am just looking for honest advice about the camera...

I would love to get a 450/500/550D but so far all the ones I have seen are a bit more than I'd like to spend.

This is the main reason I'm asking, do I go for the Nikon D60 or wait and save for the Canon?

10. brendanpre

:bump:

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Not too sure what you getting this camera at but its competitor was the 400D. The capabilities of the newer ones such as the 550D is far superior to the D60. The 550D has the same image quality as the 7D.

If you are not desperate for a camera then maybe save up a little longer as the 500D/550D or equivalent will give you so much more shooting opportunities when light levels drop. And this will then allow you to keep the camera for a much longer time.

Main difference between 500 and 550D is the 550 has video.

12. lIghty

lIghty

The 500D does do HD video too.;)

13. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Thanks for the correction. I see it is actually a different sensor as well. So if you can save fo the 550 then do it. Has one higher ISO stop for emergencies and trust me, there will be times when you need it. I actually had to use the highest on my 7D 2 weeks ago to capture an awesome bird sighting in low light.

And yes the image is very noisy, but at least you can see what is happening in the photo. I always say, a noisy photo of something awesome is better than no photo at all.

14. lIghty

lIghty

True, and you can always use PS or similar to reduce the noice, another reason to shoot in raw!

15. ReefMaster

ReefMaster

Hi Brendan

The best value for money camera is the EOS 450D, which offers more than you bargain for.

I would rather save and spend more money on lenses. A faster lens will be a better investment. If video is your thing then save up for the 550D, otherwise 450 is adequate.

Also, Nikon vs Canon?? personal choice, but remember that 60% of all camera equipment is Canon its a no brainer that spares, and secondhand market is active, hence good deals to be found. Just go to gumtree and have a look.

Some o fmy prized shots were taken with a 450D and a standard lens - see link for examples http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?p=554935. That 18-55mm is underrated if you know how to use it and find its sweet spot

Good Luck and happy shooting

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Feb 2012
  16. brendanpre

Het guys

I have decided against getting the D60, but have done a bit more searching and I can get a 1000D direct from Cameratek with a 18-55 lense for R3800.00.

Is it worth going for?

I know the 1000D is entry level and been around for a while, but this is pretty much a brand new camera at that price.

Thoughts on this?

17. brendanpre

And while I was typing that last post I got an email from someone selling another D60!

Comes with:

18 - 55 with UV filter
    Tamron 70-300 with UV filter
    4 gig memory card
    2 batteries
    charger
    and all in original packaging

R3500.00

Option 1 or option 2?

18. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

ORMS has the 1100D with the kit lens, memory card, bag and training course for R4395.

I dont trust the cameratek guys when it comes to "almost new" stuff. I think their prices are not that great.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2012
  19. brendanpre

Is there a specific reason you don't trust them?

20. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Maybe trust was the wrong word, its more to do with pricing. The prices they ask for "almost new" stuff (which is no longer available as new, since it got replaced by a newer model) are way too high.

And who knows how old the refurbished stock really is?

21. brendanpre

I was also wondering how old it was, haven't seen any 1000D's for sale for a while.

Recent Posts