Dsb

Reaction score
Hi guys, im just lookign for some advice on how best to run a dsb and cheato...
Few pointers ive picked up are...

High flow
Low/no lighting (for dsb, but cheato requires light)

Also not sure wether its wise to run dsb and cheato, or to do cheato only... So might have to chose one or the other?

Any feedback would be helpful :)

Thanks

I wouldn't say hi flow, but sufficient enough that cyano doesn't grow, and you can put cheato on top of your DSB, as long as there is enough depth.

depth is deep enough. So you recon if i stick a seio m620 in there it will be sufficient? Also i have a 150W MH hanging above it, for the cheato, but wouldnt that impact the DSB? create some algae problem?

not quite with you, why do you want to put a m620 in the dsb, is it not in your sump? coz its normally in your sump where the water flows from your tank and goes over the dsb and gets pumped back up using a "return" pump.

a MH would be too strong, just use a energy saving bulb.

High flow
Low/no lighting (for dsb, but cheato requires light)

You would want sufficient not high flow 3x the volume p/h of your entire system

Also not sure wether its wise to run dsb and cheato, or to do cheato only... So might have to chose one or the other?

Run both they compliment each other, as lIghty says run the Cheato on top of the DSB, this way you would have a bigger surface area DSB plus the benefit of the Cheato.

Yip you do need some depth, however ensure your sump has enough spare capacity to take any backsiphon in the event of a power failure

depth is deep enough. So you recon if i stick a seio m620 in there it will be sufficient? Also i have a 150W MH hanging above it, for the cheato, but wouldnt that impact the DSB? create some algae problem?

I would not worry about the Seio and the MH unless you plan on using it as a frag grow out area.

Normal energy saver coolwhites will do.

In terms of algae from the light, No unless you have the nutrients present it wont make it grow, if there are nutrients on the other hand it will enhance the growth.

You might have heat problems from the MH in your sump too

Guys, I would stay away from the flow in the DSB, you don't want to oxidate the sand.
Use a energy saver for the macro algae, works brilliantly

warr7207, not with you here on the flow? you need flow otherwise cyano will grow, and if its 15cm deep, it would be an oxygen reduced enviroment. correct??

yea, i understand that the water passign over the dsb will create flow, but it just looks dead still. And stuff settles on the dsb. thats why i thought putting a pump in, to stop any "detrius" from collecting...

Also depth of a dsb, what are the max and min?

yea, i understand that the water passign over the dsb will create flow, but it just looks dead still. And stuff settles on the dsb. thats why i thought putting a pump in, to stop any "detrius" from collecting...

Also depth of a dsb, what are the max and min?

I run no flow in my DSB, have loads of CUC to sort out "detrius". Run a light for macro algae, 150mm deep sand bed. IMO the powerhead is just going keep Churning the sand and introducing oxygen. The bacteria in the DSB will not do it's de-nitriting/ nitrating function if oxygen is present.

what size sump and tank do you have? and what size return pump are you running?

well to do its intended job it must be at lease 12-15cm deep, there is no max depth, think its Millepora that run one at 60cm.

what size sump and tank do you have? and what size return pump are you running?

well to do its intended job it must be at lease 12-15cm deep, there is no max depth, think its Millepora that run one at 60cm.

100 l sump, 350 l tank. return is 2000l hour, 600mm - wow got have loads of space for that depth.

im running bout a 800l tank, a 4500l return pump. the dsb atm is 550mm wide by 10cm deep. And i have a blue rio sun led light over it and ill change the metal halide to a t5 or something. Will that be fine for the cheato eventually?

And by CUc to sort out, what do you mean? Does one clean out all the CUC or do you leave it?

Hi zibizi - C-U-C = Clean Up Crew... ;-)

Your return pump of 4500 l / hour causes more than enough flow over your DSB to happen. Their is supposed to be some detritus that settles on the DSB, otherwise there is not enough food for the micro critters/pods/worms to grow and breed. In the end, your DSB and "refugium area" (algae scrubber/breeding area for micro critters) depend on detritus to flourish. A certain amount of detritus should settle on the DSB, and the rest will be "taken out" by your skimmer. Also - if you are running fliter-floss, this will remove quite a bit of detritus....

The DSB in itself has the function of breaking down the nutrients to it's lowest form (nitrogen and oxygen), and together with the micro-critters, forms a "complete filtering solution" where the micro-critters "eat" the detritus, as well as "work the detritus into the lowest areas of the DSB" ensuring food for the bacteria to do their work.....

Hope this explanation helps somewhat in explaining the working of a DSB/refugium area in one's sump.

thanks alot for clearign it up jacque. By clean up crew, what would you put into the dsb? i saw some some things which look like snails moving around already and see through shrimps. 4got all the names :p so i hope thats good sign.

and thx kanga, ill read up on all of that! :)

Hi Lanzo -

The most popular and common C-U-C members would be:
- dwarf hermit crabs
- micro brittle-stars
- perhaps sand-sifting star-fish
- the "standard" bristle-worms
- peanut worms
- spaghetti worms
- copepods
- amphipods
- (the good type) isopods
- mysid shrimps (sometimes)

The "tiny crustaceans/shrimps" that you see are most likely the amphipods/copepods...

thansk alot!!!! :) and could one source these C-U-C from a LFS? And last question regarding lighting. How many T5's would the cheato need? i got some spare ones with reflectors, so migh aswell use it?!?

thansk alot!!!! :) and could one source these C-U-C from a LFS? And last question regarding lighting. How many T5's would the cheato need? i got some spare ones with reflectors, so migh aswell use it?!?

2 will do in most cases

Back
Top Bottom