dsb

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by cswhitehead, 13 Aug 2010.

1. cswhitehead

cswhitehead

howzit guys.
    im a little confused about how a deep sand bed should work. i want to start building my sump does the water just flow over the sand bed(water flows over into the sand bed and then over into the return compartment) or should the water flow through the sand(over into the sand bed under into the return compartment)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. cswhitehead

cswhitehead Thread Starter

never mind found it on an old thread

4. Garethmur

Garethmur

hahaha, so wierd to see... the same questions i asked, being asked....

water flows over the dsb not thru

5. Muz

Muz

yes you have it pretty right.

The depth of the sand bed is one which is open and up to debate.. in general anywhere from 10 - 15cm should be good enough however things to factor into account is flow, size of substrate and what substrate is used.. the reason why the type of substrate is important as it will determine how the DSB compacts over time..

Take careful consideration with regards to it's size. I recommend doing some research and read up on how exactly a DSB works and the benefits of having one.

6. PeterL

PeterL

I see over time, when people join MASA, they do so in order to gain knowledge from those who have been around for a while and also the 100's of other reasons why one is here.

One piece of valuable info that I was told way back when I first started reefing was that no matter what you are told, and what you read on MASA, do a follow up/backup check for yourself by googling it. Get as much detailed information so that you know 100% why you are doing what to your system.

Just throwing in a DSB or refugium is no good if you have no idea what it really does and how it works. You need to fully understand the inner workings of absolutely everything you add to your system, in doing that, you will make alterations and improvements to your system as educated and not just because someone said so, or you read about others doing it...reefing isn't a trewnd thing, it is borderline marine biology in an art form.

As soon as you know exactly how things work, you will see noticable improvements to your system - as fast as within hours. I have been down the road of just adding because a more experienced reefer told me to, I had no idea why, then I got detailed info and it was very easy from there on.

You will obviously need to ask 100's of questions as you learn, it is the only way, you will then get the advise and direction you need - also, google doesn't have all the answers, experience in reefing which I have found in the people on MASA has counted a great deal.

7. cswhitehead

cswhitehead Thread Starter

i have read upon dsb and what they do it was just that i googled sump designs and some of the designs i saw had the water flowing through the sand bed.

Recent Posts