Dsb

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by adele, 12 Jul 2009.

1. adele

adele

The new dsb is in. I dont know if my imagination is running wild but there is more pink on the liverock than red and brown, the bubbles on the algae is gone. Can it happen so quick...?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

How long has the new sand been in the sump - a few days, if I look at your previous posts? So, I would guess that it could be your imagination... but on the other hand, if you used freshly collected, damp, sea sand then I suppose the bacteria already in the sand (AND the small goggas...) could already be making a difference :thumbup:

Please post some photos, and describe exactly what you've done since your first post - just so the rest of us can learn from it :)

Glad things are looking up.

Hennie

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What substrate did you get then? Is it just seasand or a combination playsand and sea sand or just playsand?

5. frankie fish

frankie fish

howdy ppl, i have a question regarding additives. A friend told me that he is using chalk sticks for calcium, and bicarb of soda for ph,isn't this a bit risky,and does it work,and how about the phosphates??????

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Frankie - I hope you don't take this the wrong way - but, would you please kindly start a new thread with this question? It would be far better that everyone can follow your question, and supply the correct advice, without impacting the topic of this (or other, existing) threads. Many thanks.

7. inflames

inflames

Hi Adele,

Would be great to see the photo's of the mods you made!;)

8. Reef Maniac

So, Adele, any updates...

9. Annoying

Annoying

Pics pics pics!!!

10. adele

adele Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Sorry to keep you waiting, computer trouble... We've put in the new filtration system. No, its not my imagination, slowly but surely, its changing! The bubbles on the algae is gone, and the liverock is less red and showing pink growth on them. We got some sand below the lowtide level. Not as fine though, a bit on the coarse side. We filled 4 25l buckets about three quarters full, with water and sealed them tight. Struggled, puffed and pulled them up the beach, in the trailor. Hopped in the car and headed home. We immediately merged compartment three and four, cleaned it. Ughh, dirty!, and filled it with sand, its about 20cm thick. Two weeks later, tested the ammonia level, it was sky-high! We immediately cleaned compartment one with the skimmer and two. We filled it with sand, from the other compartment, about two centimetres deep, did a 20% waterchange. Tested ammonia next day, it was almost normal. Tested again day after that, now it was normal. I must say, it looks clean and neat. Much more simple than than the previous one. Here's the pics, if there is any advice, please let me know!:wave2:project sump pictures by goggi - Photobucket

11. Reef Maniac

That's great :thumbup:

I suspect that the sharp ammonia spike was caused by some die-off in the sand (it's better to transport the sand damp, but not covered with water, by the way...). The quick drop the next day would be because of the surviving bacteria "kicking in" after being boosted by the ammonia "food".

I'm sure that your live sand is the cause of this. Not only is it filtering the water, but the microscopic life in the sand (and here I'm referring to the little worms, microscopic sea stars, amoeba-like single celled organisms, etc, and not the bacteria) is also eating a lot of the waste, AND reproducing, thus adding live food to the system which helps to feed your corals.

It looks to me as if your tank is now on the right track to become a great success story. Keep up the good work :)

Hennie

Recent Posts