Dsb

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by adele, 2 Jul 2009.

1. adele

adele

Im going down to the south coast today in search of sardines, going to bring back sand for the new filtration system. Can I use it just like that or must it be washed ????
    :biggrin:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

By the time you are back home in Heidelberg, you would have a lot of die off in the sand. Because of no air, water movement, temperature etc... Do you know how much wet sand weighs? If its dead, rather wash it. If you hope some creatures might still be alive you can use it as is. Just be carefully of a NH4 spike. Make sure your other filtration systems can handle the dead bio-load. But you might be lucky with some organism making the trip back home.

Also must collect from below the low level mark, if you want live with it. The finer the better.

I wanted to do this myself, but eventually settled on play sand I bought from Newlands Garden Center. A lot cheaper than Reggies, But you have to wash it.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I would suggest putting/leaving the sand in a container, and "cycle" the sand and water. Just put a small power-head in the water, over the sand - that there's some water flow. Leave the sand in there, and measure the ammonia and nitrite levels. Once these 2 are 0, then you can use the sand in your tank.

If you do "wash it" - you would have removed all the "goodness" from the sand.

Just be patient. ;)

5. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

if you see them let us know :)

6. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

What you also can do is to collect it just before your trip home.

7. Kavir

Kavir

So How long will live sand last if u had to transport say 40kgs And pop it in to the dsb?Should it be just damp or have a slight water level?
    Lets say if u could transport it in summer or something to keep the temp constant probably dropping a degree ever hour or nothing at all,(was thinking of gettin an inveter that connects to the cigarette lighter, and run a heater and tiny pump, but realised it wont work coz the water would eventually fall out if there were any openings) and if we use oxygen tablets, would that help?

8. jacquesb

Best would be to have a slight water level.
    Bear in mind that the denitrifying bacteria starts dying off already after the 1st hour....
    BUT, there might still be worms and pods in the sand, and other micro critters - that will survive the whole trip.

There would also be SOME bacteria left, by the time you get home.

BUT, I would NEVER place this immediately in your main tank, as you WILL get an ammonia/nitrite spike of note, due to the dying/dead bacteria!

9. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

what i have done in the past was to fill my big container up with sea sand and and then take a small- 5L ice creme bucket and fill it with sand and water with a small air stone to keep the critters alive this helps to get the sickle going.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A race against time, no stops, no Ultra Cities, no Speed Camera's
    Get home and cycle sand in separate contianer immediatly, extra new water at same temperature, or added slowly to mimimize the risk. Then go to the loo to relieve yourself.

And wet sand is heavy...

What might work is to get about 10kg sand with enough water. Or even less. And use that to seed your play sand DSB. The bacteria multiply quickly, and you need only a cupfull from a fellow reefer to seed your DSB.

To fill your sump with sand from the sea, that will weigh so much, at least 100kg. Actually more. Back breaking stuff.

11. jacquesb

Very good idea Riaan. You don't NEED to get such a huge amount of "live" sea sand, Adele......

12. Kavir

Kavir

Ya i think i'd go wit the cup load from fellow reefers. 1st i need to work on my dsb.

Recent Posts