DSB with Chaeto vs Xenia

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Louis Scheepers, 8 Aug 2011.

1. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

After reading about this tank: '+ imgTitle +' | Tank of the Month | UltimateReef.Com which is run with two sumps, one a DSB and the other a Xenia tank. I have started doing some new calculations for my DSB:

It will be 45cm(l) x 60cm(w) and will be 56% of the display footprint. Now normally guys run Chaeto above the DSB. I thought about splitting the sump above the DSB with a piece of glass (60cm will be split 30cm/30cm); on the one side I will keep Chaeto, and on the other I want to build a little rack from eggcrate for the Xenia to grow on (so there will still be sufficient flow over the DSB).

Is it worth it, or will it be better to keep two balls of Chaeto (or a large one). I guess Xenia will use different nutrients than the Chaeto? Another thing to think about is that blue sponge that takes over everything. I have read somewhere about a remote sump full of sponges, since they are good filters feeders...?

I have a 3000l/h Tunze return pump, I hope it will be sufficient over the 60cm width !

@RiaanP will you please comment, I know you have put alot of thought into flow over a dsb!

Last edited: 8 Aug 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sammy

Sammy

I must admit, after seeing that thread I'm keen to find out more about a Xenia scrubber, seems to grow easily by me !

Generally from the other threads it seems that Xenia is not that efficient in nutrient uptake when compared with the green macro algae's.

tagging ...

4. Tony

Tony

I grew Xenia in low nutrients so I don't see how they will remove nutrients

5. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers Thread Starter

If I understand correctly, no macro algae will grow in a low nutrient system, right?

What does that mean?

1. Either Xenia needs less nutrients to survive than macro's, which means that they will continue removing nutrients when the macro algae cannot do it anymore,

2. or they don't use a lot of nutrients and will therefore not be a great nutrient removal option?!

6. Tony

Tony

Louis, in all my years of keeping xenia and having it crash on me time and time again, I found strong light and iodine to be the biggest factors in keeping it alive. Flow, nitrates and other pollutants had nothing to do with the success. Maybe that's just species dependant but these are just my observations. I personally think this is an overcomplication in trying to reduce nutrients and there are far simpler and cheaper ways of reducing nutrients without stressing about a xenia scrubber. I'm wondering if there is any proof around this guys theory as the stuff was growing like weeds in my old tank with zero nitrates and phosphates, but a ton of light?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That is a nice size.

I got my cheato in a seperate tank. The space above the DSB is normally too shallow. I got a seperate refugium 90L tank for my cheato and got better result with the growth rate. My own conclusion is that it need at least 200mm deep water to be able to turn. deeper is better. I got a very shallow sand bed in the refugium 10 to 15mm and the cheato. With 10K T5 * 2 39W lights.

Nope, most likely not. You will see the head of the water over the last divider (distance between glass and actual water level) to be about 3 to 4mm. I used 2 * 3000L/h and that was better - also on a 600mm wide sump.

Even in my current sump, being 430mm wide, I replaced the 300L/h with a 5000L/h pump. A lot better flow over the DSB, but now my display tank overflow cannot handle the extra flow. Especially withthe combs in place. I split the return line, and redirect some flow to my refugium. The refugium flows back to my DSB inlet side.

Last thing I do not like about cheato, only thing, it alwas tend to break off small pieces. And that floats around, eventually settling on the DSB. Or go into the return pump inlet. And blocks it. I use a pool leave catcher. Problem sorted. Check out post 52 on Upgrade my Downgrade - Page 3 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

8. rakabos

rakabos

I started removing phosphates and nitrates about 6 weeks ago with the use of reactors and prodibio. I have a huge Xenia colony which seems to be none the worse for wear. The macro algae I have is melting away. So i'd probably say Xenia couldn't care less about nutrients

Recent Posts