DSB - Who removed there dsb's and why?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Express Reef, 31 Jan 2013.

1. Express Reef

Express Reef

Hi,

Just want to find out how many guys out there have actually removed there dsb's from there system?

Last edited: 31 Jan 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

The concept intrigues me but tbh it also scares me - one more complicated thing that can horribly wrong.

4. Francois

Francois

I removed my DSB after running N/P pellets, I've found that running Bio N/P pellets or Bio Cubes with a DSB doesn't work lekker. My DSB was a NO3 trap and to small, and to be effective on your tank it must be way bigger than your tank.

5. Reefhead

Reefhead

Removed mine years ago and stopped using them since
    Simple reason far more efficient, space saving forms of filtration out there

6. shaunn

shaunn

i am removing mine coz i am moving and the reseeding take's to long to establish its self again i am going np Pellets

7. Express Reef

Express Reef Thread Starter

Going to remove my dsb, its a no3 waste dump:biggrin:

8. Seabass

Seabass

Removed to fit new skimmer reef octo 5000 int.

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I removed mine after upgrading system. I just could not have a larger enough dsb to be effective

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i stopped using them when i moved to zeovit, now use cubes, while they do work for some, i get the same results with new tehnology and half the time and maintenance

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I have never installed a DSB since Y2000. :) Yeah remember the Y2000 thing.

Got a lot of flack when I even hinted on a denitrator in my early days of MASA. Quiet a lot of the DSB fans have changed to some other form of denitration. IMO the best controllable form of denitration is a denitrator. One can have a trickle tower to pull out the ammonia and nitrite super fast and the denitrator does its thing.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm keeping mine. :tt2:
    since middle November I've been away from home for total of 5 weeks. In Cape Town again next week.

I need something that does not need any extra work for tank sitters. I do no maintenance on the DSB area at all. No settlement as I got descend flow across my DSB. Only job for tank sitters are to ensure the RO container got water. Besides feeding the fish.

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

This thread is going to be a hot one. I am going to bed.:lol:

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Other filtration options could be better, and some are proven.

But as each system is unique, and our husbandry requirements do differ.

I found that the most successful filtration system is one that needs the least amount of work 6 months after installation. You get tired of doing the same job over and over, like the weekly cleaning of algae scrubber screen.

To be a successful filtration system, it must in the first place be installed correctly. To small a DSB will not be able to handle your bio-load. Same with a too small NP-reactor or skimmer or ATS etc...
    Then the flow through it must be correct. Be that across a DSB, or flow rate through NP-reactor, dwell time in skimmer etc...

My point is that it does not matter what option you take, if it is done incorrectly at start-up then it will not perform as you wish.

16. Express Reef

Express Reef Thread Starter

oh Riaan just loves his dsb:lol: I will never ever go the dsb rout again it sucks matiz ballz

17. CW

CW

I agree with you RiaanP.
    My firts tank used a DSB. It seams like it took some time to start working lekker but it was fine. Just had some problems with ditrus.

My second tank i used a dsb and also a small chamber directly after that with 1L of Seachem matrix. It worked like a bomb. And i also added more flow ofer the dsb and had less ditrus. That system is curently running with @Rhino the same way i used it.

Then with my third tank i left out the dsb and only used 1L Matrix and some Boyu seramic rings. Also worked great. My brother is currently running that system the same way still. And no problems.

When i moved my second tank to the spot where i have my new tank now i added a np reactor with the dsb and seachem matrix. I ran it like that for a while. very slowly added np pelets.
    Then when i started the new tank i had about 500ml np pelets and then i just moved the np reactor to the new tank. Ive never looked back.

But i will still do dsb if i have the space.

So what works for one tank or for one reefer doesnt necessary work for another system or reefer.

But ideas we have to get some where.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

I have never removed mine, never not once and I will most likely never do so cause i dont use one.... thier are far more effective ways of removing nitrate without the aggrivation off washing all that substrate. Realty under my aquarium dose not come cheap and i could certainly use the space saved.

I would say most likely reason for removing a dsb is that it dose the opposite of its intended use and becomes a nutrient sink.

This is my personal opinion and you may find different results. The beauty of the hobby is that you can do as i do and end up with very different results.

19. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

I've always run a DSB and have never really had any issues with high nitrates, so do not feel the need to change something that is not broken. My current DSB is small in relation to my water volume but it seems to be doing a fair job.

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I can understand why you never use one. Selling and installing systems for clients and I would also not setup a DSB for them. What is the price of sand compared to a couple of reactors and media that needs replacing? There are more profits in the waiting for shops when the setup does not use a DSB. Also it justifies having a maintenance company looking after the tank, replacing media, fixing up clogged media or NP reactors...

Just saying...

Sure, money I can buy the latest filtration technology that hits the market. But since I started my remote DSB, NP-reactors have come and gone. Orca Cubes are now the flavour of the year. And I still have the same DSB. I cannot understand how ripping out the filtration heart of a system, replacing it with some other method in the search for another quick fix is the way to do it.

My point that whatever option you use, must be the least labour intensive as the tank matures. Replacing NP-pellets, clogged filters etc is all work. I just need to get a cup of sand from another reefers healthy DSB twice a year.

Which reminds me, who wants to swap a cup? My system is disease free.

21. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

:thumbup:

Recent Posts