DSB transplant

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Fishy Steve, 20 Apr 2011.

1. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Hi all

I am upgrading my tank and don't want to have to go out and buy another 100kg's of playsand. I have roughly that much in my current setup. I want to swap it over but as far as I know you are not supposed to disturb the DSB because you don't want all the crap in the DSB ending up in the tank.

So the question is should I just wash the sand out really well and put it in the new sump? There's nothing in the DSB that wont get taken care of with some good rinsing is there?

I know I will lose all the progress the DSB has made up till now, I will scoop the top layer off to keep some of the critters but I don't think I can go too deep for the transfer before having to wash the sand.

Maybe the experts can set me straight or confirm my brilliance:p?

Thanks

Steve

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

You can scoop the top layer off and keep it alive with the correct water temp and air - then you can re-seed the new DSB later.
    Unfortunately you will have to wash the DSB very well and rinse with RO a couple of times before putting it in the new sump. Remember to first put the salt water in the sump, then the sand to ensure there is no trapped air in the bottom layers and all the sand gets wet.

4. danimal

danimal

5. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Thread Starter Hiden super user

Thanks guys, I knew that search button was there for a reason.:lol:

Sorted

Recent Posts