DSB/sump filter combo design

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by AdamVR, 10 Mar 2012.

1. AdamVR

AdamVR

Ok, so I think I had a bit of a brain fart, and came up with this idea:

[​IMG]

The design incorporates a sump with a separate DSB. The top part, water flows in from the DT through some filter floss/sponge for mechanical filtration, into a chamber that houses reactors/protein skimmer/whatever else into another chamber housing something else. The water then flows over the slanted glass, into the second tank, which is a big DSB, with live rock stacked somewhere in the middle. Then the water again flows over a slanted glass pane, into the return pump chamber, back to the DT.

The idea is to light the DSB (lower tank) opposite to the DT lighting to prevent pH fluctuations.

Two questions:
    1. Is this design adequate?
    2. I want to put some macro algae in as well. Where should I put it?

Cheers
    Adam

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quintin

Quintin

I will be building a 3 split level sump in my new tank build but not stacking one onto of the other...
    Looking at your design you will have a problem where the water enters the bottom tanks from the top lifting and moving your sand, unless you have a rather slow flow from the top sump.

Here is my build but not at the sump stage yet.....
    New Tank Build plus electronics - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited: 11 Mar 2012
  4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

That sump looks a bit over complicated. All those baffles and a tank on a tank will make cleaning a mission.
    Rather decide what equipment you want (ie reactors, etc) and design the sump around that.

5. AdamVR

AdamVR Thread Starter

Great, thanks guys.

Where would you place the chaeto? On the DSB or in a seperate chamber?

6. Quintin

Quintin

Separate is what I would do.
    Cheato is suppose to tumble, so perhaps a chamber of its own with a little 3000lph Resun vibration pump?
    Like this....
    [​IMG]

As for DSB.
    Had one in my old tank.
    Don't like them and will never use them again.
    Pile-o-poo if you ask me.
    They collect detritus, not the efficient and is old technology.
    Rather get yourself a bio-pellet reactor with an oversized skimmer.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2012
  7. Tremayn

Tremayn

If you want something simple and effective, just have a skimmer and a nice big refugium with loads of cheato with a decent light. The stuff works well. You sump looks like something from starwars lol.. Keep things simple as possible :)

If you are just starting out with marines stay away from reactors and stuff for now. If you have a refuge then its easy to change to carbon dosing where as its much more work if you have a DSB

8. AdamVR

AdamVR Thread Starter

Thanks Tremayn. I'll do the KISS thing then.

I'll try do a nice refugium design then

Cheers
    Adam

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

you dont need a fancy refuge... Have a look at @RiaanP 's refuge. Its a 3ft tank with a pump. Thats what you want;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

First question, What corals do you want to keep?

Also, that design, its way too complicated and you will not be able to clean it.

For beginners, I would advise a DSB. Simple, cheap and they do work. Most likely those who have issues with them set them up incorrectly with not enough flow, allowing excess detritus settlement. Big problem is that guys believe the DSB is not working because they cannot see anything happening. Add a small piece of live rock and some empty shells. And soon you would see bristle worms and copepods running around in your DSB area. They need a place to stay. To live in. To hide and to do that multiply thing.

I'm running 2 DSB's. Using 2 standard Daro 4 foot tanks. One is setup as a standard 3 chamber sump, Skimmer, DSB, return. The other is a remote DSB. 4 foot DSB with some live rock pieces stack up at the back against the glass. 2 * 3000 L/h old style powerheads with strainer part out the bottom. And cheato ball floating around. Old style powerheads with strainer is better, as small pieces of cheato do break loose and will block up any other pumps, like Seio. And I'm happy with the results. I got no algae or cyano in my display. (had some cyano a couple of months ago, due to my laziness with water changes).

Recent Posts