DSB started

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have built myself a new sump ( 1.4 x 0.75 x 0.50 ) ( LxWxD) for my fish only tank.The dsb portion of the sump measures 940mm long by 750 wide and a depth of 300mm. I have filled it with sea sand from below the low tide mark.So for I have had the sand in there for two weeks now but have not seen any life on or crawling on the sand.I am looking for some chaeto to add to the dsb if any one can help me out with some it will be great.I am in the Durban area. I have put in some base rock and have been collecting some grape caulpera from the rock pools to place on the rock is that a good thing or bad?
Cheers
Shane

Shane - nothing wrong with Caulerpa..... Chaeto is touted to be better. But I have not seen actual physical proof yet......
Caulerpa is also touted to go "sexual" and kill the lifestock in the tank - I have also not seen proof of this either.....

So - according to me - go ahead with the caulerpa....

BTW: how do you know this is really caulerpa? Do you have a pic or two for us?

Hi Jacquesb,
Thanks for the reply, no I do not yet but i will try.
To describe it, it has these small round balls that grow it tight clumps and I have seen they sprouting long runners or shoots.
Is it possible that if the flow over the dsb is to slow that the plants will die in the dsb?
Cheers

No Shane - the macro algae will not die. And what you described is DEFINITELY caulerpa. The flow over the DSB HAS to be slow'ish - else the DSB does not work as it should......

Light is the secret to keeping macro algae flourishing - meaning - that it will then also export the most nutrients.....

Agree with Jacques. Shane, should you want some Chaeto, come pay me a visit ;)

Back
Top Bottom