DSB Size advice

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Ishtak, 12 Aug 2011.

1. Ishtak

Ishtak

Evening reef gurus!

I need some advice. I'm wanting to make some changes to my current sump. I'm going to remove 2 baffle walls between the skimmer chamber and the dsb chamber, changing the DSB size from 20.5lx15hx59w to 36lx15hx59w. My question is around the height of the DSB. In the beginner thread there is a sticky saying the DSB should be 15 to 18 with a clearance on top of that of 5, bringing it to 23. When doing my length changes should I change the height to the recommended as well or will 15 suffice? Oh and with the baffles gone is it a good idea to add the step above the DSB from the skimmer chamber?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theo

Theo

Howzit boet. 15cm will do perfect. My DSB's 1st baffle is 16cm above DSB' surface and the 2nd one is 15cm, giving it that nice rolling effect. Works like a charm.....

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

DSB, the bigger the better.

There are 2 options. Either only 50mm water depth above the sand, or 150mm plus above the sand.

But both options depends on the rating of your return pump. You need flow, else you got too much settlement. The 50mm depth is to prevent the settlement. But if the pump is too weak, it still will not work.

I prefer 150mm plus. It adds a lot of water volume to your system. You got extra space to use that as a refugium. Or you can sump a naughty fish or picked on fish in there for a while. I got a big tube anemone in my DSB. (Its 420mm across). Anyway, my water depth above the DSB is 240mm. Skimmer is on a little stand to get the skimmer outlet above water.

5. Ishtak

Ishtak Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'm going to remove the baffles making the DSB bigger and increase the height for more water above it. RiaanP, the return pump is an Ocean Runner 3500. Flow rate good enough on that for a bigger water volume over the DSB?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Depends on the width of your sump. Back to front.

7. Ishtak

Ishtak Thread Starter

Width of sump is 590mm

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Your return pump might be too small. Check that you do not end up with execc settlement on the sand. If you do, you have to either upgrade the return pump, or fit another smaller pump to pump water directly back to skimmer.

Recent Posts